Billy Stubbs

14 May, 1933.

A new boy had arrived at the orphanage. Billy Stubbs. Eleven years old. He had spent his customary night with Tom, had cracked his skull then by falling off the cot. Mrs. Cole had moved him to another room. She had long since discovered that worse happened to children who stayed more than a night. Yet she hoped to find another lasting roommate for Tom, like Curtis.

On moving to another room, which he was to share with Daniel, Alaric, Craig and Cole, he had quickly learned all they said about Tom Riddle.

But he had been unwise enough to openly bully Tom.

Tom was now out for revenge.

"So what brings you down here, today?", he sneered at Tom, as he came down for playtime. He had been forced to do so by Jenkins, who insisted that he needed some fresh air.

"None of your business, for sure.", Tom sneered right back.

Billy turned around and started to walk away.

"By the way."

Billy turned back to face Tom.

"You might want to feed your rabbit." Tom smirked to himself.

Billy looked unsure and turned around once again, walking away.

____________________

An hour ago...

Billy had been bullying Tom for about a week now. He openly said things that are usually whispered behind his back. He had to pay for it.

He walked to Billy's room, which he shared with four other boys. It was very untidy, with toys and clothes strewn about haphazardly all over the ground. All the beds were unmade.

On bed by the wall, was a cage with a giant rabbit in it. He walked over to it. Billy loved his rabbit very much, and took great care of it, in spite being teased mercilessly for it by the others.

The cage door snapped open. The rabbit scurried backwards into it, frightened. It slowly flew up towards the rafters, it's feet wriggling madly. One of Billy's shirts flew up towards the rabbit and tied itself to the rafters. The other end itself around the rabbit's neck.

Tom loosened the rabbit, and it fell, jerked upwards slightly by the shirt. It started swinging to and fro.

Tom unleashed invisible bands of magic. They tightened around the poor animal's neck. It was dead within the minute.

It was a warning. Billy would back off now if he knew what was good for him.

Tom went out. He took Billy's India rubber ball on a whim. Billy was extremely proud of it. On the way to his room, he encountered Jenkins.

"Tom Riddle! Just who I was looking for! It's nice weather outside. Go out and play."

"No. I don't want to."

"What nonsense. You'll like it. Go on now!"

Tom went out, if only because he was grateful that Jenkins hadn't seen him kill the rabbit.

____________________

Billy made his way to his room uneasily. He had not liked the way Tom had told him to feed his rabbit.

As he entered his room, he saw his rabbit hanging from the rafters. He started crying.

His wails brought a few other children to his room. Someone patted him awkwardly on the back.

"What's happening here? Billy, why are you crying?", said Mrs. Cole as she bustled towards them. She sucked in a sharp breath as she saw the rabbit hanging from the wall.

"It was Tom. He told me. You heard him, didn't you, Craig?"

Craig nodded frantically.

"How could I? I'm not tall enough."

Everyone looked to Tom.

Tom walked over, stood up on the bed and raised his hand to show how exactly he couldn't have done it. A faint smile was on his lips.

"What exactly did Tom say to you, Billy?", Cynthia asked.

"He said, you might want to feed your rabbit.", Billy replied between sobs.

____________________

Billy never bullied Tom again.

____________________