An Introduction

Morning doesn't bring much relief.

I wake with a knot in my stomach. I don't think I can face the bakery today—and frankly, I know it's unfair to ask Jilly or Mama Pat or Karen to, either. After taking several deep breaths, I turn on my phone. There are at least a dozen new messages waiting for me, but I ignore them. I call my employees and let them know that the shop will be closed today. That gives me a little bit of relief, at least.

Right after I've hung up with Karen, my phone rings. My stomach seizes, but then I see that it's only Dante. Relief floods me as I answer.

"Ash? Are you all right?" he says immediately. "My publicist told me the news broke."

"Oh, I—I'm fine," I say. Still a little stunned, but holding together. "Yeah, I guess it did."

"I tried calling you multiple times last night. They sent me to Vegas for a press thing, or I would have come over to make sure you were all right." There's a hint of darkness in his tone. "You are all right, aren't you?"

Just hearing his voice makes me feel better. Makes me feel silly for getting so worked up about a few photographers. Yes, it was weird. Invasive. But it was only one day of my life. Dante has had to deal with this since he was a child—on a much bigger, much more intense scale. This is nothing compared to what he's experienced.

"I'm all right," I assure him, hoping my voice sounds steady. "They just surprised me, that's all."

I swear I can almost hear him frowning. "They found your bakery, I understand."

"Yeah. Disrupted business a little, but I guess that's to be expected," I say lightly. "Maybe in the long run this will be good for the bakery. I've already had your fans calling to ask about your favorite desserts."

Though I'm trying to make a joke of it, he doesn't seem the least bit taken in by my tone. "Are they harassing you?"

"No worse than you've been harassed, I'm sure."

"That's not what I asked."

"Really, it's fine," I say. I don't want to talk about this. "I decided it was best to close the bakery for a day or two until this blows over. So I'm going to be taking it easy at home. You don't need to worry."

"That's for me to decide."

"They'll get bored with me soon enough, I'm sure. I'm just the shiny new thing. I'm not famous or particularly interesting."

"Ashlyn, don't try to avoid the subject."

"I'm not. I said I'm fine. And I'm trying to be realistic about the whole thing. This is a temporary inconvenience, that's all."

He doesn't say anything, but I can sense him stewing.

"Are we still on for dinner tonight?" I ask before he can press the matter any further.

"Of course," he says, then pauses. "Would you rather stay in?"

Part of me most definitely does. But another part of me knows that wouldn't actually solve anything. I'd just be running from the problem.

"Let's go with the original plan," I say. "I can handle it, I promise."

His pause tells me he doesn't quite believe me.

"Really," I say. I asked for this. I need to be strong enough to handle it.

"All right," he says. "Pick you up at seven?"

"Sounds perfect."

Another hesitation. "Ash, if they bother you at all—"

"I'll be okay."