Stumped

A/N: This is written for The_Howling_Wolf_01 who gave me the idea.

Violet was pacing the courtyard. It had been a couple hours since she and Clementine had gone their separate ways at the bridge. She should be back by now, but she wasn't. Violet was kicking herself for jumping that fence and running off without them. Kicking herself for allowing the panic to take control. Kicking herself for not noticing how Clementine had been limping but now it was all that she could think about. She had been limping right? Or maybe she was just tired and winded? Violet tried to recall the events in her mind but all she could remember was holding Tenn as he choked on his own blood... leaving him alone to get eaten by walkers... he deserved so much better...

Determined, she ran back into the school, making her way to the kitchen she jerked open drawer after drawer. Rifling through each one at a frantic pace, not stopping until she found a large, sharp knife. Single-minded in her goal she strode purposefully toward the school gate. She was going to find Clementine and AJ, dead or alive she couldn't live in the limbo anymore. She would find them, one way or another.

Louis climbed down the lookout tower as Violet approached it. Getting between her and the gate he held out his arms to stop her.

"They're out there Louis. I can't just stand around and wait any more. I'm going to find them." Violet tried to push Louis out of the way but he grabbed her by her upper arm and pointed frantically through the gate.

Violet looked where he was pointing, something was coming through the trees. It was wobbly and unstable and loud. Every walker in the area was perking up at the noise. Louis opened the gate and Violet ran out, clearing the front of the school of walkers. Stabbing them in the head and kicking them away as she was finally able to make out the shape of AJ, pushing a wheel barrow with a very squeaky wheel. Violet was forced to look away as more walkers approached, keeping them at bay until AJ wheeled his load into the safety of the walls. He was breathing heavily from his efforts, hands on his knees he struggled to regain his breath. It was clear that he had come to the school as quickly as he was able, what was he carrying and where was Clementine?

Finally the area was clear enough for Violet to run back through the gate, closing and locking the door behind her. "Louis, what's going on-" Violet started, turning around to see Louis, hands over his mouth, shaking his head from side to side, fear in his eyes as he stared at the wheel barrow. The smell hit Violet first, the smell of burning flesh was a stench that she would never forget. Near the beginning they had attempted to burn their dead, but it never fully worked and they were left having to dispose of the charred remains anyway. A chore that no one readily volunteered for.

Violet put a hand to her nose, stifling the smell as her eyes landed on the wheel barrow. Clementine. Her heart sank at the sight. She was covered in gore, Violet couldn't tell how much was from her and how much was from walkers. Violet's green eyes scanned over her body, landing on the source of the stink, Clementine's leg was missing just below the knee and the sight of her mostly charred stump sent Violet's stomach churning. Violet's eyes darted back up the brunette, where her ringlets framed her nearly lifeless face. Dark circles surrounded her eyes and she looked gruesomely pale. If not for the slight rise and fall of her chest Violet would have sworn she was already dead.

"Save. her." AJ managed between gulps of air.

"R-ruby!" Violet yelled in shock, not sure what else to do or how to help, "Ruby!!" she cried with increasing urgency, "RUBY!"

Ruby came running from the dorm building, rubbing at her eyes, looking like she had been trying to get some rest after their long sleepless night at the Delta ship.