chapter six

Three months passed in the citadel. Arthur and Merlin spoke when they needed to, but otherwise kept their distance from one another. While Merlin yearned for a closer relationship, he knew it was impossible that Arthur felt the same. Since that night at the Druid camp, many of his nightmares of the strife between him and Arthur had ended. While the dream of Arthur choking him had never reappeared, it still lingered in his mind and impacted the dreams that he had had. Images of Arthur chasing him through the forest, or ripping the crown from his head and ordering him dead, or shoving him into the wall roughly and claiming his lips, met with an enthusiastic response—they showed Arthur in a light that didn't match who he really was.

Even if much progress had been made on Arthur's stance on magic, their relationship was still a bit rough around the edges. While their professional interactions were comfortably formal, any attempt from either side to reintroduce some sort of friendship was always met with awkwardness.

Eventually, both of them gave up trying, and Merlin pined from afar. He would have done anything to get Arthur to feel something toward him, but there was nothing he could do. So, Merlin made sure Arthur only ever saw the regal king who ran Camelot, the one who was kind but demanded respect the same. It's better this way, he constantly told himself, looking away whenever Arthur met his eyes, trying to erase the burst of pain he felt in his gut. They had to stick to formalities.

Now, Merlin paced in the throne room. It was empty, but he awaited Arthur's arrival as well as some of his other knights, to deliver his announcement. Camelot, though peaceful to many of the nearby kingdoms, suffered the fate of being the only one to classify magic as legal in all cases except those that impacted the already written laws. In comparison, Cenred's kingdom only allowed magic for household use and healing purposes, while King Lot only allowed it for use by his knights in combat. While these, along with the kingdom of Nemeth, who did not legalize magic at all, were in a good relationship with Camelot, others were fearful of the power King Emrys now held over them.

They had declared war. Merlin had tried to keep the peace initially, but they did not listen. Now there was a league of Saxons, led by King Alined, marching toward Camelot, and he had to do something to stop his kingdom from being harmed. He had to do this, had to protect his people—it was why he became king in the first place.

The doors opened and Arthur walked in with purpose, and a furious glint in his eye; it was obvious he already knew what was happening. He stopped in front of Merlin, who had stopped pacing and stood ramrod straight with his hands folded neatly behind his back. They faced each other.

"Arthur, I need you to have the men ready themselves to ride out as soon as possible. We have to meet the Saxons before they reach the border." Merlin said.

"Of course. What are your own plans?"

"I will be riding out as well, but not with you. There's something I must do first, but rest assured I will be with you before the battle begins."

"What is it that you need to do?" Arthur asked, a bit forcefully, as if questioning why Merlin wouldn't be on the front line along with everyone else right away, ready to sacrifice his life.

"Don't- don't overthink this, Arthur. The last thing I would ever do is abandon my people, you must know that."

"I do. I know of your unwavering loyalty and idiotic bravery that could very well lead you to your own death," Arthur smirked, before he dropped it and turned serious, "I was wondering if I could come along."