Chapter 6

Abigail spent the next day in a fit. She was being pulled in two different directions. On one hand if she accepted Matthews offer they would no longer have to worry about where they would get there next meal from. If she did then it would be even harder for her to marry later.

Would it be worth it to make sure the children were taken care of . Could she be with him knowing she would never be his wife. Would it be enough. She wasn't sure it would. She wasn't sure she would be able to be with anyone else after him. He already was burrowing deep within her soul and planted the seed of love, and each passing day it grew stronger.

With a heavy sigh she continued her chores that were now restricted to the house to keep a close eye on Mary in case she needed anything. Which seemed like every ten minutes she was yelling for this or that. How was she to get anything done today. She had to remember that she was only five and would overreact to every little situation. Sure she would find that now Mary's legs no longer worked. It was funny later on but for now it annoyed her to no end.

When she was finally resting. Abigail took her chance and took the vegetables to the general store to trade for what they needed. She walked the path back to town contemplating her situation. As she walked along the streets of the village she noticed that she was being avoided by the townsfolk. Some of the mothers even pulled their children to the other side of the street avoiding any kind of eye contact. Each whispered to each other even going so far as to point in her direction.

Abigail hugged her basket to her chest and hurried to the general store. She arrived a few moments later, she headed straight to the local supplier and asked to trade her crop for the few necessary items that they would be needing soon.  Before she could even make request, he turned his back on her and helped other patrons. Confused she waited for him to finish even though everyone stared openly at her.

She was fed up with whatever had turned everyone's attitude toward her and decided to take her business elsewhere. As she moved passed the other patrons a women spat at her feet as she walked by.

"Trollop!" She spat out in a venomous tone.

Shocked at the hateful women calling her such a disgraceful thing she spun around and stared at the women. "Beg your pardon, ma'am?" She hoped that she had heard her wrong. She knew the truth before the woman confirmed it.

"Hedge-creeper!" She looked between each lady in her party. "We know the Duke of Harrington has been visiting your farm quite frequently. There is only one reason for a man of his station to visit people like you." Each word dripped with contempt. Every patron nodded in agreement.

"Your type are not welcome here." The shopkeeper added leaving Abigail in such a state of shock she barely stumbled out the door. After a few feet she choked back a sob. She was damned if she did and now damned if she didn't.

She slowly walked back to the farm in a daze. Well if the whole village thought that she was his mistress because of her lack of title. She would not starve for the sake of her vanity. Squaring her shoulders she carried herself with pride the rest of the way. She might not be able to marry him but she could make a good life for them while it lasted.

. . .

The next day Abigail was all nerves. Mary finally decided she played sick enough and wanted out of the bed. Abby almost wished she would have stayed in bed for she was constantly underfoot. Setting her nerves on end as if they weren't already.

Having a few extra days to prepare for the dinner Abigail mended all the children's clothes and fixed the décolletage of her mother's dress to accommodate her size. The day seemed to drag on with each chore finished the time ticked closer to when when she would see him. He would be waiting for an answer that she wasn't sure she was ready to give him. Her stomach knotted with butterflies.