Tryst

"You are irresponsible, stupid, childish and immature. You were to get married to Lord Dearon, he was your suitor!" King Karin yelled at his daughter, who stood with her head held high next to Thranduil "Not Prince Thranduil!"

"I don't care about Lord Dearon, I'm a bastard child who you wanted to marry off to some creep who just wants to use my body for a higher position in your court!" Tharwen shouted back at her father angrily. "And I haven't done anything yet! I'm not stupid. I know that I am supposed to be a virgin, but I don't want to marry him! I want to marry my One, and if my One is dead, I'm marrying Thranduil. Oropher thought it was a good idea!" She wanted to hurl something at her father. "A way to unite the kingdoms."

"You listen to me child!" Karin began and Tharwen took a step forward angrily.

"I won't listen, because Lord Dearon is an unworthy, unloyal man who visits brothels at the borders of our kingdom for pleasures. He lies and cheats his way through your court and has tried to have Darien killed on multiple occasions by hiring assassins to try to infiltrate his room and slit his throat in his sleep!" Tharwen screamed. "Your judgment and your decisions have put us all in danger so many times I'd rather be dead than be here under your rule! It's no wonder the Kiz'lan can gain hold on our bloodline, we're just as weak as the dwarves with their gold lust, the elves with their shallowness and the orcs and goblins with their darkness!"

Karin froze and a silence filled the great hall as Tharwen stood panting from what she had screamed in anger and frustration, chest heaving as she tried to calm her breathing.

"Tharwen Karewin, My Daughter and Second Heir to the Throne, Princess of this kingdom, you will leave for the March tomorrow morning before dawn with two guards off your choosing." Karin said coldly. "You will not see Prince Thranduil from tonight onwards until you have worked your way through the ranks to become a Warden from the beginning."

Tharwens jaw dropped in shock. "You can't do that." Her voice dropped to a whisper. "You can't send me to the March.. You can't just get rid off me. I'm your daughter. I'm not someone you can throw away because I didn't listen to your rules!" She turned on her heel and stalked out off the Great Hall coldly, ignoring the sounds off her father calling out after her.

*

There was a knock on her room door and she looked up from the bag she was packing. She didn't bother with flourish and beautiful clothes, if she was going to the March to be treated like a bastard, she might as well dress like a bastard. 

"Enter." She called out as she continued packing. Her door creaked open and Thranduil slipped in through the smalll crack as the door was opened and he closed quickly behind him.

"You don't have to go. Come back with me to the Greenwood Lath'rien." Thranduil said, wrapping his arms around her waist and pulled her close to him. He rested his forehead against hers, brushing his lips againt her nose in a soft kiss. Her lips curled into a small smile as she shook her head. 

"I'll go to the March. I need to be a Warden Thranduil. It's my only birthright. I'm a bastard." She rolled her eyes. "I'll be back in a few years, maybe, if I don't meet my One, we can get married like we wanted."

Thranduil rolled his eyes and pulled her into a deep kiss before they heard a knock on the door.

"Maybe. I'll see you in a few years. Maybe you'll be married by then." She said to him, kissing him again.

"Maybe. Will you be okay at the March?" Thranduil asked, looking into her eyes, conveying his concern.

"I'll be fine. Help me carry my bag down to the courtyard, it's a one week journey and I'd rather not miss out on spending any time with you." She said, picking up the satchel and her coat from her bed.

"Of course I'll help." He picked up the bag and followed her out of her room, walking down the corridor towards the stairs that lead to the main hall of the castle. She lifted herself up onto the railing off the stairs and slid down, following the curve off the rail to the bottom. 

"You know I can't do that with your bag." He called out to her taking the steps three at a time following her down.

"Sorry Thrandy." She apologized with a mock bow before making a beeline for the door.

**

As Tharwen stood outside with Thranduil, both her brothers and her father had joined them to see her off. Karin, Fharwen and Darien all stood to the side as she saddled Nightwine, murmuring to the horse with a small smile. When she was done, she turned around to say goodbye to her family, embracing Fharwen and Darien in tight hugs. 

"Look after Darien." She ordered her older brother, not completely pulling away from the hug and ruffling her brothers hair. 

She turned to look at her father, cocking her head to the side. "I'll be a Warden. I'll come back home, and if I don't find my bonded, I'm marrying Thranduil. Don't let anymore worms into your court." She turned, but was stopped by her fathers hand on her shoulder.

"I'm sorry for sending you to the March, I know you don't want to go, but... I will look after them." Karin promised. "Nothing will happen to them."

Tharwen sent him a greatful smile before stepping forward to Thranduil. She looked up at him, smiling and staring into his eyes. With a soft chuckle she leaned forward and brushed her lips against his and murmured to him. "I love you meletîon." She dragged him into a hug that he returned with the same amount off passion.

"See you in three years Lath'rien."