Prologue

2017 Eastern Europe
"Chris and I grew up so fast, we kind of missed out on well. . everything."

AMAYA ROGERS STOOD in the room that their group has used for sparring and 'fighting' with each other in the safe house she's been staying in with her parents, brother, Natasha, Wanda and Sam for the last couple months. She was tired of hiding though. She grew up so fast, she never got to experience normal things. She wanted to ask her parents if they would be willing to let her live with Tony and attend high school, like a normal person. She knows how to keep her powers in control, and no one would really know who she is.

She just didn't have the courage to ask.

"I'm sure they won't tell you no." Natasha said, as Amaya blocked her punch before sweeping her legs and pinning her down on the ground.

"But, we're fugitives Aunt Nat. . how am I supposed to try and go to school like a normal person?" Amaya asked. Natasha broke the girl's pin and they both stood up. Amaya threw a punch, and when Natasha went to block it, Amaya used her powers to stop her. Her blue energy was wrapped around her hands and she held them there.

"Not fair." Natasha said.

"I'm serious, Aunt Nat. I know I chose this. . but it's not fair that all of us have to live like this." Amaya said, dropping her powers from Natasha's hands, and she sighed. Natasha could tell that Amaya was a little distressed, so she sighed as well.

"Look, Maya. Your mom and I are no strangers to being fugitives on the outside of the law, but I know you're not used to that. Talk to them, they can call Tony, probably get you set up in New York and you can try to live normally. The media doesn't know yours and Christian's faces like they know the rest of ours. Since you fight with a bandana over your mouth and Christian can make himself invisible. You should be okay." Natasha said, and Amaya nodded her head.

"Thanks, Aunt Nat. . sorry I cheated." She said, and Natasha shook her head.

"Using your powers isn't cheating, that's what you have them for. I was just teasing when I said no fair." She said, which made Amaya smiled, before she wrapped her arms around her and gave her a hug, which Natasha happily returned.

"I love you, Aunt Nat." She said, and Natasha gently touched her head, running her fingers down through her hair.

"I love you too, kiddo."

"Mom, Dad. . can I talk to you for a second?" Amaya asked her parents.

She found the two of them sitting in the kitchen. They both had cups of coffee, they weren't talking to each other, but Amaya could tell that they had just talked, or they were talking, or fighting. She noticed the tension between the two of them. Her mother cleared her throat before nodding her head.

She knew they had a talk, but you could still sense some of the awkwardness.

"Of course, baby girl. Is everything okay?" Katherine asked. Steve gestured for her to sit down at the table with him, which she did before she looked at both of them.

"Is everything okay?" She asked, looking between the two of them. Katherine and Steve both looked at each other, before looking back at their daughter.

"Yes, everything is fine. What's going on?" Steve asked.

"Look. . I know we're supposed to be, laying low, and I don't regret choosing your side, but I was wondering if maybe. . I could go to New York? Live with Uncle Tony and Aunt Pepper. . maybe go to school?" Amaya asked, not sure how they could receive her question.