Prologue

Many centuries ago, before the time of the Sengoku Japan, yokai and ayakashi used to exist in this land. The demons used to rule Japan until the Kihara clan came along and they sealed off most of the demons, however, one of the demons refused to be sealed or be destroyed. It was a shadow demon and the Kihara ancestor, Aiko, knew this demon could be useful but, her brothers and sisters of the clan told her it was a bad idea to trust this demon but she refused to listen. Aiko made a deal with this demon but, that only resulted in the Kihara clan being cursed with the demon's power for all eternity.

A few years passed since that cursed day, some of the Kihara clan members inherited their ancestor's powers but not all of them were able to control the darkness within their hearts. Every time they do awaken their powers, their hearts will be consumed by pure hatred and this causes the descendant to lose their way and they lose their lives to the demons that live inside of them. However, only a few of the Kihara clan members were able to control their powers including the Kihara clan's princess.

Kagura was one of the few generations from the noble side of the Kihara clan to control their demons. Kagura awakened her powers at a young age and from there, that's when her father kept her locked up in the castle to make sure no one learnt of her abilities in case one of the rival clans tried to kidnap her. Kagura didn't mind being a caged bird, she was just happy to be with her family and her siblings.

But, the happiness that she once had never lasts...

~Flashback~

8 YEAR OLD KAGURA'S POV

I was reading a storybook to my sickly little sister, Azuna until I heard a commotion going on outside in the corridor. Azuna coughed a little and she asked me.

"Onee-chan, what's going on?"

"Probably another one of Otu-san's debates, I'll check and see what's going on, wait here," I said as I stood up from the floor.

I entered the hallway and I headed to the audience hall and I saw my father talking to Oda Nobuhide. I was about to listen to their conversation until my mother showed up and she covers my mouth.

"Shh, be quiet Kagura."

I was surprised when she whispered to me. My mother picks me up in her arms and then she took me downstairs to the basement where my older brothers were and Azuna were there. I was confused by this and then my Mother puts me back down on the ground.

"Okaa-san what's going on and why do you look so scared right now?"

"Kagura, we're going to be at war with the Oda clan, they've heard about our cursed power, they're going to destroy us," Mom explained to me which shocked me the most.

"W-what do you mean we're going to war against the Oda? I thought the peace treaty was signed?!"

"That's what we thought too," My father spoke up as he headed into the basement. "However, we were betrayed by the Nobuhide, he only wanted to get close to us just so that he can expose our cursed abilities."

Father knelt down to me and hands me over the sword that's been passed down through the Kihara clan for generations.

"Take this sword with you Kagura, this is Deathbringer, it's been passed down through generation to generation and now it's yours, Kagura," Father told me as he gave the sword to me.

I was confused and scared at the same time until we heard the sound of swords clashing from upstairs and the sound of screams of pain from our guards. Azuna gripped onto my sleeve and then our mother held us close. My older brothers, Hayate and Keiji, stood next to father and then he said to them.