Chapter One: The School Run.

1.

Chip Sette was up early this morning, excited for the start of the new school year. His mother's head appeared from behind his bedroom door.

'Oh... You're up already. I had no idea you liked school so much.' She said.

'I'm in year ten now, mom. It's different from this point on, nobody messes with year tens.' Chip replied, pushing his well-worn glasses back up the ridge of his pointy nose. The little toy robot on his bedside table began to roll back and forth on its caterpillar tracks.

'Beep boop beep.' It said.

'Alright, smart guy.' Chip replied.

'What did he say?' Chip's mother asked, humouring her son.

'He said except for other year tens.' Another series of beeps followed by the little robot. 'And year elevens.' Chip rolled his eyes. 'Maybe I should just not go to school this year?'

'Nice try. You're going to school. Oh, and while we're at it, I think I remember a conversation last night about what would happen if this pig-sty of a room wasn't cleaned up.'

'... Ah. I thought you'd forgotten about that. Okay, mom. Me and Mr. Bolts will get on it before we go to school.'

'Maybe...' His mom thought for a moment about how to phrase what she wanted to say. 'Maybe it would be better if Mr. Bolts stayed at home today.'

'Stay at home...? Mom... I don't...'

'Well, you're fourteen now, Chip, almost fifteen. Don't you think it's time to put away the toys and make... actual friends?' Mr. Bolts' head spun around. The lights on its triangular plastic body blinked wildly, as it dashed from its spot on the bedside table, up Chip's arm, where it perched on its usual spot on Chip's shoulder.

'But he's really excited about school, mom. Please can he go?' Chip pleaded.

'Fine.' She said, 'But this room had better be clean before you go.'

'Yes. You're the best, mom.' Chip Sette turned to the little robot. 'Well, come on, Mr. Bolts, you heard the lady...'

Chip's cupboard door swung open and his toys poured out into the room. Robots, cars, planes and drones all got to work. Chip was at the centre, orchestrating the whole thing with Mr. Bolts on his shoulder, beeping and flashing. His mother watched him from the doorway. It was hard to worry about how isolated he seemed to be from other children when she saw him like this, dancing and laughing in a world of his own. His imagination and incredible abilities never failed to amaze her. The world would see what she saw one day, she was sure of it.

2.

Ten years ago, Jake Johnson drummed his fingers on his desk, while Jenny Dean stood at the front of the class and told them about her pet tortoise, Shelby. Shelby was Jenny's best friend; he liked swimming in their pond and eating lettuce. Jake could see why her best friend was a tortoise; she was taking forever!

Finally! After listening to Jenny talking for five hundred years about her stupid tortoise, it was his turn. Jake had waited for this moment all week. He scrambled from his seat, and darted to the front of the class.

'Jake, you know better than to run in class,' said Miss Peartree. 'now what is it that you're so keen to show us?' Jake pulled an apple from his pocket.

'Is that for me, Jake?' asked Miss Peartree.

'Nuh-uh.' Jake said. He placed the apple on the edge of Miss Peartree's desk. Jake backed away and held his hands out in front of his face. He stared at his palms, and concentrated as hard as he could. Beads of sweat had begun to form on his forehead.