Chapter Two: Keep it Moving, Inmate.

1.

'Watch what you're doing down there, Bambi, ya flamin' lunatic' Rosie laughed as she flew above them. The school was in sight, and she was on for a rare victory over Sara. Rosie had cheated of course, going on two instead of three, but Sara had gotten faster over the last few weeks – a lot faster, so she'd take any advantage she could get.

Rosie's laugh, along with her chances of winning, came to an abrupt end as she flew face-first into a shimmering pink wall. She looked around, realizing she was trapped in a bubble of energy. She opened her mouth to ask what the hell was going on, but it snapped shut again as she saw the face of her captor.

'You were going awfully fast there, young lady. I trust you're aware of the speed restrictions in the airspace around the academy?' It was a voice she had never heard before, but she had seen the face hundreds of times. It belonged to Magdalena Johnson, former hero, and current headmistress of the Olympus Academy. Mrs Johnson was in a magnetic bubble of her own, along with her children, Jake and Rebecca.

'I'm sorry, miss. It's... it's my first day, and I didn't want to be late for class.' Mrs Johnson did not look amused. Behind her, Jake slid his thumb across his throat, You're for it now, which he followed up with a big, goofy smile. Rosie looked down at her feet, trying desperately to stifle a smile of her own. 'It won't happen again.'

'See that it doesn't.' Mrs Johnson flashed Jake a stern look. He reciprocated with a grin and a shrug. 'There are younger children at this school who are far less confident in the air. You could hurt one of them tearing around like that. The rules are in place for the safety of all, you would do well to remember that.' Mrs Johnson lowered the three students to the gate, their energy bubbles fading as they touched the ground.

'Sorry about my mom, she really loves rules. You were ripping back there, I'm impressed.' Jake tucked some of his wavy blonde hair behind his ear. 'How fast can you go?'

'I'm not sure, to be honest. Pretty quick though, faster than sound at least.'

'Oh, hey! That's a cool accent. What is that, Australian?' Jake said, a little too enthusiastically. Rebecca looked up from her phone just long enough to roll her eyes at him, then carried on through the gates, muttering something about boys being pathetic.

'It is! My folks moved here in the summer. They heard about the work the academy does and decided to enrol me. I have... ah... control issues when it comes to my powers.' Jake put a hand on Rosie's shoulder.

'Then you're in the right place. That's what we do here. My mom's not the battle-axe she seems to be, you know. She cares way more than she lets on.'

'Not the best way of meeting your new headmistress though.' Rosie became aware of Sara hovering around behind her, close enough to overhear, but not enough to interrupt. 'I hope she doesn't hold a grudge.'

'Nah, you're good. Name's Jake. Maybe I'll see you in class?' Jake held out a hand.

'Oh! Uh... I'm Rosie. Rosie Reynolds.'

'Good to know ya, Rosie. See you around?'

'Uh... Sure, Jake.' When he was far enough away, Sara bounded over, a huge grin lighting up her face.

'Oh. My. Gods! First day of school, and you get the attention of Jake Johnson!' Sara gripped Rosie's shoulders.

'Oh, whatever. He was just being nice.'

'Uh-huh. 'That's a cool accent" Sara repeated in a deep voice. ''Oh, thank you. I'm from Australia.' she squeaked. ''I love Australia, and I love you Rosie.' 'Oh! I love you too, Jake. Kiss me!'' Sara cupped her hands a head's width in front of her face, and kissed the air rapidly.