Old timer

Izzy woke up in a strange place. He was in the back of a stranger's car. He was nearby the liquor store, and he had a pounding headache. He groaned as he sat up slowly, glancing around. It seemed to be late afternoon, and he could vaguely remember going out for nightrain that morning, but not much else.

He trudged home, head and heart heavy, two bottles of nightrain under his arm. When he walked through the door, he was met with an angry Aneka.

"I haven't seen you since last night, you faithless coward!" She snarled.

"I know. I haven't seen me since this morning." He chuckled tiredly, Aneka's palm stung as it made contact with his face, hard. He grit his teeth. He held out one of the wine bottles,  which she took. He then made his way to the kitchen, where he refridgerated the other bottle. She grabbed his shoulder.

"I'm not done with you!" She told him firmly.

"Look, Aneka, i'm really fuckin' sorry. I don't wanna fight with you. I always thought you were the most beautiful woman around, and i never wanted any of this." He turned and looked her straight in the eyes. He reached out and cupped her cheek gently. "Remember our first time together? You were so innocent, fresh. Still are really. C'mon old timer! That lovin' could last forever!" He smiled softly. His cheek still smarted, but he just moved his free hand and flicked his hair down so it would cover any possible mark at least a little bit.

"You live so recklessly, how do you expect me to cope?" She frowned at him.

"I know, honey." His smile faltered.

"You know." Aneka stated, her expression turned angry. Then she started yelling. At first Izzy knew what she was saying. 'Fucking worthless pig.' 'Why don't you just fucking leave?!' 'Make me feel so alone and worthless'. She cried, she bitched, she whined and yelled. He comforted, heard her out, tried to calm her down, he was patient. Three hours of her in his ear and he had no idea what she was even saying any more, so he opened a bottle of nightrain and gave it to her. She bitched between sips, but halfway through the bottle her insults slowed, and she finally passed out. So much for making up. Izzy sighed and leaned back in his armchair, taking a swig of wine and watching her snore lightly. It was gonna be a long day. It was one of those days when he knew for sure the fighting wasn't over yet.

When in doubt, have a nightrain. When you know for sure, have a nightrain.

Aneka was always on his mind. Even when he was so drunk he forgot his own name, he remembered hers, it was like it was carved onto the inside of his skull. He leaned his head back against the armchair, waiting for sleep to engulf him and take him away from his woes and worries. He corked the wine and sleepily put it on the coffee table, before falling back into the back rest and drifting off. His last thought was of Aneka and the shit fight they were in. He didn't want to fight with her! He loved her!