A Boy Was Born

I've heard at least eight trainers a day say it. They always seem astonished when they see Kadabra teleport from place to place or surprised to see a pack of rodents run across the wards wearing nursing hats and jackets. They did not expect other pokémon working for the hospital apart from chanseys, blisseys and audinos.

When it comes down to it, most trainers don't really care who gives them treatment as long as their teams get healed. At the same time, they expect far too much from us. The healing machine can't heal every disease nor can it bring anyone back to life. Though I must confess that I do think that working in the human wards can be extremely frustrating. The healing does nothing for humans.

Domino made me do training in midwifery. She said that I should consider it as an apprenticeship of some sorts. Midwifery was one of the units at Smogon University. Midwifery for humans was mentioned briefly, but luckily for us, the trainers had to do the written work for us. I've helped human midwives deliver the baby before, but doing it on my own makes me nervous.

I don't want to show I'm nervous. Usually I'll have somebody with me when a girl is in labour, but Domino and the rest of the higher staff in the hospital believe that I can do it on my own. I'm flattered that they can trust me enough as a senior nurse with independence, but I'm only Matron Blissey. I can't solve all the hospital's problems on my own.

I know that they're all only human, but the policies clearly state that pokémon should always be supervised by human staff during labour. This is a serious violation and if I mess up, I'd have no one to help me and also the mother and the baby could be in fatal danger.

The lady was holding onto her boyfriend's hand. Her boyfriend looked a lot like Red, only that he was a smaller in height. You could call him Red's Mini-Me. Strangely enough the lady in labour could also be young doppelgänger of Sapphire, a trainer I know from Hoenn. I don't believe that Red and Sapphire have never met but their influence is undeniable.

It's nice to have a baby born for Christmas, it's a lovely way to spent the holidays. I don't really get the time to celebrate Christmas because it's such a busy time of the year. It's a really crazy time at the hospital too. Nobody wants to spent their Christmas in the hospital and not many of them like hospital food. Our chef, Swampy gave the patients black custard and chips for pudding.

There's a lot of contests that happen on Boxing Day. They want to use all their lovely Christmas leftovers and use them to impress the judges. I personally find beauty pageants like this boring, but they're a lot better than the beauty pageants for toddlers under five. But I honestly believe that contests and beauty pageants promote it paedophilia and poképhilia. They're living creatures: not sex toys!

Though I have to be really careful not to say my thoughts out loud. The girl is a pokémon co-ordinator and makes her pokémon enter contests for a living. I have to treat them just how I would treat any other of my patients. I don't think the lady will be entering any contests until the New Year.

The girl's name was May and she had been in labour for two hours. Her boyfriend stood in the middle of the room with a pikachu on it's head. I think he said his name was Ash. I couldn't tell because his voice was muffled with all the bacon in his mouth. He looked pale as he blocked his ears from the screaming. Poor blessed children. Domino said that May was only sixteen. When I heard about May's age, I remembered an old patient, Mr. Fierce complaining about a program called 16 & Pregnant.

"I shouldn't have to watch this rubbish!" Mr. Fierce cried out. I let Mr. Fierce choose a channel that he wanted on and ended up being happy with the discovery channel. There are times when I miss my patients, but at the same time I'm happy when they leave because I hope they will either have a happy life or that it will get back to normal. For patients like Mr. Fierce, things will never be the same, but he can still enjoy life.

Other chanseys came into the room just in time for May's active phase of labour. The chanseys and I can do as much as we can to support the mother and the child, but it's really May and her child that are doing all the hard work. But we have to be on guard, now that her amniotic sac's ruptured, the child is more exposed to infection if the delivery is not safe.

We could all be here for up to 12 hours, but I can't be too sure about that. It may depend on how strong May's contractions are. I had been with Ash and May for a while now. Midwifery isn't just about the babies, it's about caring for the mother right through to the very end of the pregnancy. There are some things that I disagree with iun terms of her lifestyle, but I have to take it as it is.

My attention was drawn over to the young man who tiptoed behind the chanseys. He treaded carefully as if he was in a forbidden forest lurking with death traps. Bringing a child in the world is meant to be one of the most proudest experiences a human could ever have, but that doesn't mean that they'll be any less scared.

"What did you say your name was?" I asked the lad.

"Ash," he mumbled.

"How long have you known May for?"

"At least five years," he said, then gulped. Well, it could have been worse. At least the mother knew the father. There are some young mothers who don't even know their own baby's dad.

"I know you're nervous," I told Ash, "But you have to support May and your child in every way possible. This child change your life forever."

It seemed that Ash returned to his senses and held onto May's hand. The rest of the birth was pretty much average and later in the early hours in the morning May delivered a healthy son. The young couple looked really happy. There was no denying that their smiles lit up the room.

The hospital wasn't the best place to spend Christmas, but they did make the most of it.