wings

"Hey, Catra?"

"Hmm?" she murmured, staring intently into the vanity's mirror. Adora had been reading, a comfortable silence remaining about the room for a little over an hour. The window was open, allowing a breeze to sway their light grey curtains. Raindrops faintly sprinkled about the windowpane, a summer shower rolling past. Neither of them were paying attention and there was no need to close it just yet.

"Yes, Adora?" Catra looked over her shoulder through the mirror when the silence was too long, her heterochromic irises falling upon her frame. Seeing her absolutely mesmerized by what she was doing while closing her book, she turned the swivel to look at her directly. Her pen in hand, one eye was done, and the other was bare.

"I was wondering if you could teach me how to do eyeliner...?" she finished, her hands pressed against the crimson throw blanket upon her mattress. She had the bottom bunk, whereas Catra had the top due to her penchant for climbing. "Do you think we have time before the party?"

'Oh yeah. The party...', Catra thought, an ear softly flicking at the idea. She hadn't grown used to being a resident of Bright Moon yet, with all of their festivities. She admittedly had a harsh exterior compared to the softness of her surroundings, yet she was engulfed with support ever since her admission. Her resentments towards Adora had been resolved with sessions of talking and crying together, slowly healing and repairing their friendship. However, those negative emotions were only replaced by guilt.

She shook those thoughts away, granting a generous, fanged smile to her pal. "Of course. Come here and I'll show you."

Adora quickly followed, flattening the ridges on her thundercloud grey skinny jeans before standing beside her seated loved one, kneeling somewhat to get a better view. Catra's lime green eye's pupil was narrowed, completely fixated while swiping the inky liquid onto her lid. She did it effortlessly, lifting the felt up to create a sharp wing before closing the cap. "Done."

"They always look amazing and even. I know you just showed me but I don't know how", Adora explained.

"You'll have to try your hand at it", she responded. The tan stripes on her arm hit sunlight whilst reaching for the drawer built into the vanity. "Lucky for you, I have a pen I haven't used. You never want to use someone else's unless if you want an eye infection."

"Seems fair. Thank you, Catra", she gratefully spoke, giving a mild bow of her head when taking it.

"Here, sit down and I'll talk you through."

"Okay...", she did as directed, glancing over at Catra's cinnamon-coloured tank top. Clad in black denim shorts, she was always mesmerized by how fashionable she was. Adora stared at her own face and her cerulean irises, how yellow halos twinked around her pupils like an asteroid belt. She knew that was She-Ra, permanently engrained in her being.

Her eyebrows were fluffy, and some hairs were wild. Glimmer had plucked them once, which resulted in her tearing up. It was ironically hilarious how she was so tough; trained for battle all of her life yet couldn't stand for her delicate face to sting.

Taking the protective plastic off of the cap, she opened it up and glanced at the liner. "So I just...", she lifted it up to her eye, making an attempt to replicate the motions that Catra did moments before.

"Yes! You're a natural", Catra excitely exclaimed, her ears perking up in response. "See if you can sharpen the tail."

"Got it", she nodded, trying her best to not bring it out too far. Biting her bottom lip in concentration, she eventually found a satisfactory result. "Good?"

"Mhmm. Now try to match it up."

"Oh, boy...", she muttered, and they shared a nervous laugh. Making an attempt, she looked at the first eye compared to the second. It wasn't even. 'Not even close...'

Seeing her face shrivel to a defeated expression, Catra was quick to chime in. "Hey, keep in mind this is your first try. It doesn't have to be perfect", she encouraged, reaching over and opening the bag to her cosmetics wipes. "Wipe off that one and try again."

Another try was made, and Adora burst into triumphant laughter once leaning back at the full picture. Some rainclouds had passed and the room filled with light, every atom comforted by the sun's warmth. Golden hair shimmered, her high ponytail swaying when making a hard turn on the swivel chair. "Good?"

"You got it!" Catra was enthusiastic, her demeanor softened in her time of watching Adora do her absolute best. "Now, pop on some mascara so it doesn't look weird", she advised.

Adora followed the advice, yet jumped when closing the item. Thunder suddenly rumbled and a knock was heard at their door. It opened afterwards, not giving either of the girls any time to personally answer it. Adora stood while Catra motioned to close the window, for the rain was quickly becoming a downpour.

"Hey, um...", Perfuma greeted warmly, yet was timid in bringing unfortunate news. "The party is called off due to the rain, sadly. We're rescheduling it for tomorrow", she informed. All the princesses were gathered, visiting for this grand event. The others would certainly have to extend their stay.

"Thanks for letting us know."

She gave a nod, leaving a trail of flower petals upon her exit before the door came to a close.

"Hey, Adora", Catra turned to face her, finding her fiddling with the handle of her sword that remained at rest in the corner of the room. "Is there anything else you want to do?"

Adora walked back to the vanity, adjusting her white thermal sweater and taking the previous make-up wipe. Removing what she had done, she picked another for Catra and walked up to her.

"It's a rainy day, so... nap with me?"