six

That's What Friends Are For

The next morning was a usual one - boring. It indicated that the day will probably be as every single other day since I came here - boring and without action. Tony always said it was the calm before the storm. Everyone always laughed at him when he said that. I guess everybody liked the 'calm' part and hoped it wouldn't change. Honestly, I felt like that would change today. Call me a pessimist.

After lunch, I walked to my room when I saw Steve down the hallway. I remembered I needed to talk to him about yesterday.

"Hey, Cap!" I called.

He stopped and turned around "Anastasya, what's up?" he smiled.

"I just wanted to say that I'm sorry..." I sighed.

"Sorry for what?" he furrowed his brows.

"I'm sorry for breaking down in front of you. Pardon me but... I'm fucked up and
I don't know what else I can do. I'm just trying to keep myself together. I don't know what came over me yesterday." I said looking down. I couldn't manage to look him in the eyes.

"What?" he huffed "What do you mean? I wanted you to open up to me. I saw something was bothering you and I wanted to help. There is nothing to be sorry for."

"I just... We weren't that close. We weren't that close and now I feel like I'm just bothering you with what I feel."

I always felt like that. My emotions are hard to handle and that's exactly why I didn't want to share that with anybody. The pain.

"Hey" he lifted my chin up so I was forced to face him "stop doing that to yourself. Stop overthinking. I wanted to help. There is no way on earth you could bother me with talking about your problems. I'm happy to help." he smiled.

I chuckled "You are too good to be there for someone like me." I gave him a sad smile in return.

"There it is again." he rolled his eyes "Stop doing that. Seriously." he chuckled "You are a good person. What you did all those years ago, it wasn't you."

"I know." I sighed "But I did it."

"Would you ever do that stuff if your mind was in your hands?" he asked.

"No, of course not." I furrowed my brows.

"Then it doesn't define you. I said this to Bucky and I'll say it to you countless times - you are not an evil person. Believe that, be the best version of yourself. You can do it."

"Thank you." I smiled "I don't know what is it, but every time I talk to you I feel better afterwards. You manage to turn every frown upside down, Captain." I smiled.

He laughed "Again, I'm glad I can help."

"Well thank you, Cap." I took a few steps back, away from him.

"No problem, Eleven." he smiled.

I smiled back and turned around to make my way to my room. Eleven.

...

It was almost dinner time when an alarm went off through the whole hangar.

"All units in the ready-room." Tony's voice was heard thru the speakers.

That's a first. I was excited, actually. Scared. Really wanted to prove myself. But excited.

"Everyone except Banner, Wanda and Vision - suit up. You three have nothing to do outside now, it's not that serious. Just a little main bank robbery with smartass robbers who captured the police." Tony sighed as the last person got in the room "And you" he pointed at me "you come with me."