Search the Water

"Bella! Let's hurry up!" Angela called, taking Bella's hand and dragging her forward. Bella laughed, caught up in her friend's enthusiasm. Behind them, Rosalie and Leah rolled their eyes, exchanging a look. It had been Angela's idea for the four of them to go on a double date. Even though they were both vampires now, Bella didn't get to see too much of her high school friend. So when they all happened to be in town, she saw her chance and took it. Rosalie and Leah had bonded quickly, and Angela and Bella had always been friends.

"Slow down! We can only go so fast," Rosalie called with a light chuckle. Of course they could go much faster, but there were the surrounding humans to worry about. Bella and Angela slowed, allowing her and Leah to catch up. Rosalie took Bella's hand from Angela's, pulling her close.

"How much further?" Leah asked wrapping her arm around Angela and placing her hand in the back pocket of her jeans. Angela smiled at the contact, and wrapped her arm around Leah's waist.

"I think another half mile," Bella said, using her other hand to check her phone's map function for directions. "We should turn right at the next intersection. Not this one coming up,"she added, squinting at the small screen.

"So why did we park so far away?" Leah asked.

"Because I hate parking," Bella said, shoving her phone back in her pocket and sticking her tongue out at Leah. Leah rolled her eyes but smiled back.

"Which is why I offered to drive," Rosalie and Leah said at the same time, causing the four of them to laugh. It was precisely their argument over who would drive that made them leave much later than expected, until Bella eventually stepped in and said she would, not giving them an option. No one else had a hope of beating Bella's stubbornness.

"But you always drive," Angela told Leah.

"So I decided to give the two of you a break," Bella said, squeezing Rosalie's hand.

"But I like to drive," Rosalie said with a raise of her eyebrow.

"As do I. So it was my turn," Bella quipped.

"Unless it involves parking," Angela said, causing Leah and Rosalie to laugh. Bell withdrew her hand from Rosalie's and crossed her arms, pouting on the street corner while they waited for the light to change.

"You'll be fine, babe," Rosalie said, reaching for Bella's hand again. She pretended to pout until the light changed and then took her hand as they crossed the street. They walked the rest of the half mile to the aquarium, continuing to tease each other along the way. They entered the building, tapping in with their passes before congregating off to the side of the staircase that led to the animals.

"So what's the plan here?" Rosalie asked.

"Look at fish?" Leah answered with a shrug.

"Yes, thank you for your contribution," Angela said, rolling her eyes but giggling as she took her camera out of its bag and began fiddling with the lens. Leah reached over to help, holding the bag with her extra lenses in case she needed them. "I want to get pictures," she added, staring at her screen as she adjusted for the strange lighting caused by the tanks.

"Want to have a bit of a contest?" Bella asked, after a moment of thought. Rosalie and Leah both snapped to attention; they were incredibly competitive. Angela nodded, more focused on her camera than the conversation.

"Always!" Rosalie said.

"Yes, please!" Leah added.

"Alright, guessing we're all in then!" Bella said. "So. Here's what's gonna happen. We split off into couples, and both look around to see who can find the weirdest fish. We take a picture and then decide who wins together. Possibly calling in some reinforcements if we need neutral voters," she explained, looking at her friends and wife for their input. Angela would be happy trying to take the photos, and Leah and Rosalie were always up for game between the two.