Trust Me | Natasha Romanoff x Stark! GN! Reader

A/N: (shitty) Angst. Endgame spoilers, but if you haven't seen it yet by now... Then don't... Don't read this... I Guess lmfaoo... Inspired by a post on Instagram. I wanted to show Natasha some love, and since she Did Not Deserve To Die (not to say that Clint does), might as well Kill Someone Else ;) And this was originally a male reader fic, but it was vague enough so that it can be gender neutral.

AND I KNOW, THIS WHOLE BOOK IS MALE! READER SPECIFIC BUT MY WRITING IS USUALLY VAGUE AS HELL ANYWAYS SO-

"... It's going to have to be one of us."

Your jaw clenched as you were sat on the ground next to Natasha, who held her head in her palms.

You were silent as you peeked through your lashes to look at the bastard who was already up here. He's also silent as he looks at you, almost through your soul as your guts clench with anxiety.

"... What if he's bullshitting us?"

Your voice was quiet.

She didn't answer you, though you didn't really need an answer to that question. It was inevitable. Neither of you could ever go back from this- you had only one chance to get the soul stone, no matter what it took.

Your lips were pressed in a fine line.

You thought about it logistically, trying to find some way to justify you being the one to jump.

Family?

You winced.

No, that wasn't really a great one to start off with. Biologically speaking, you had your father, Tony. You'd know he'd miss you beyond words, after all you saw him grieving for Peter first hand. And Pepper would be devastated from losing you, her first- if not technical- child...

As for Natasha...

As far as you and the team knew, she doesn't even know her own family members or if they were even alive. Hell, she didn't even know her own father's name when the red skull guy said his name.

But, either way, the team would miss her... And besides, Tony would still have 2 kids left- Morgan and Harley-, and if this whole thing works, 3 since Peter would come back.

And chances are if it does work, then they could just... Use the Infinity Stones to resurrect you, right?

It was a gamble to take, but if it meant that you were to be the one who jumped, then so be it.

But... How were you going to convince her to let you be the one to jump? There was no real guarantee that you could be resurrected, and even then, she'd argue that she should be the one to jump since she's older than you.

She always used that to her advantage, saying that her age came with more wisdom than you'd ever have. Even if the age gap wasn't all that big, she'd still say that.