Chapter 11: Not Human Anymore

Sarah lied on the floor as she watched Toby across the windowless room rampaging around.

He brought down shelves, turned cauldrons and tables upside-down, ripped apart books and the decorative curtains on the walls with his sharp claws, and shattered bottles of potions that were stored inside those shelves in the corners. He created havoc on the other side of the windowless room.

Toby's eyes were now dyed a crimson-red, radiating an aura of indisputable malice. They are no longer the same innocent blue eyes like they once were, making Sarah frown deeply in discomfort.

Sarah stood up from the floor, ignoring the pain emitting from her side when she got struck by Toby's tail, and began thinking up with a plan to calm down Toby and pulling out the curse inside him that got accidentally activated by her.

Sarah looked around, and the first thing her eyes gravitated toward was her spellbook, which now lay on the floor across the room, close to where Toby was doing his thing, smashing and breaking.

She hesitated for moment, but Sarah firmly clenched her fist, thinking that, if she can't save the person in front of her who sought after her help to save him, then was she qualified to save anyone? 

Sarah crouched and ducked her head, and began sneaking toward the spellbook on the floor across the room. At first, Toby didn't noticed her sneaking down on the floor because he was busying himself smashing and breaking any objects he could see. 

But when Sarah slightly nudged the room's table and disturbed it, Toby's triangular-shaped ears twitched.

Stomp...

Toby's massive frame turned around and saw Sarah crouching on the floor beneath a small table with her hand reaching out for the humongous book that lay on the floor a few steps away beneath Toby's foot.

"RRAGH!"

Letting out a hoarse cry containing a hint of hostility and malice, Toby's massive frame moved as he opened his hand with its sharp claws at the ready to slice anything into pieces, and then brought it down in a sweeping motion.

However, just before Toby swiped his claws down, Sarah already noticed his massive frame moving when he saw her. So, out of sheer reflex, Sarah rolled between Toby's legs, barely dodging the claws that were aimed at her, and quickly got up as the hooded robe she was wearing slightly ripped apart because of her excessive movements.

Sarah grabbed the spellbook on the floor and ran to another corner of the room while she opened the book and flipped through its pages, trying to find a spell that can help her calm Toby.

All of Sarah's action caused Toby to let a low, angry growl. He seemed infuriated at the fact that his prey, which he hasn't caught yet, took advantage of his massive frame to dodge his attack. Furthermore, the windowless room gave him a disadvantage of being to cramp to move around flexibly like he always does outside in the city.

Toby furrowed his brows so hard that veins started popping out visibly on his forehead. He turned around and saw Sarah, his prey, flipping through the pages of her book, and then stopping at a certain page.

Toby sprinted towards Sarah and tried his luck to swipe his claws at her again, hoping it would hit this time. 

But before Toby got a few steps closer to her, Sarah opened her mouth, and sang a song in a sweet, enchanting voice that could calm a person's mind.

"Sleep, my little one. Fond vigil I keep. Lie warm in thy nest. Thy moonbeam caress."

Sarah repeated those words over and over to Toby, who almost immediately showed signs of being affected by it.