Chapter 3

-Paul-

As I walked away from Ash and back towards the guys, my head was spinning. So that's what it's like to imprint huh? From the moment I looked at her, I never thought I could make myself look away. It felt like nothing in the world could stop me from talking to her- from being with her. We were connected, and I have the feeling she felt it too.

But something was ... off. The way she acted about the bruises and then when we talked- there was something holding her back, and it wasn't that we just met. Maybe she has a boyfriend or something. Oh god- what if she has a boyfriend? I need to talk to Sam. I didn't even stop to tell the pack where I was going, I just jogged straight into the woods and phased.

***

I got to Sam and Emily's faster than should've been possible and boy, was I starting to freak out. The only thing I could focus on was her bruises and that gash on her arm- it's killing me not knowing what happened to her and not knowing if she's really okay. I could tell she wanted to trust me but she still didn't feel at ease with me yet.

This possibility of a boyfriend was second on my list of worries- what will she do? What if she doesn't want me? What if the imprints don't always work like we thought they do? I've already started falling for her and we only just met, if she doesn't want me the same way I'm not sure what will even happen. The tribe has never told of an imprint who didn't choose their wolf back. Sam and Emily had a rough go because of Leah, but Emily wanted Sam just as much as he wanted her- even though she felt bad about Leah. The imprint is fate- but what happens if fate is wrong?

I went inside and found Sam eating and Emily making more food to add to his already piled up plate. His eyes locked with mine and he knew there was something up.

"So, uh, I imprinted." I swear I think the food almost fell out of Sam's mouth. He stood from the table and Emily spun around.

"Ah! I'm so happy for you Paul! What's her name, what is she like? Where did you find her?" Emily started going at the same time Sam did.

"Woah! Paul that's fantastic, why do you look like someone just kicked a puppy?"

I didn't know where to begin- hell, I didn't even know if any of my thoughts had any evidence to validate them.

"Sam, I uh, I think she may have a boyfriend- or something, I'm not really sure. I'd never met her before today. Her name is Ash and she's just... gorgeous. She's funny and sweet, but something just seemed off. I don't know man, she almost acted like someone who knows they're never going to be able to do what they're telling you they will- when I asked her to meet me tomorrow on the beach, she agreed but she just sounded... bittersweet; her face, man, I swear she looked miserable. I don't know how to explain it- I just can't shake the feeling that there's something really bad in her life."

I don't even think I was making sense, but Sam somehow was shaking his head like he knew what I meant.

"Paul, imprinting with her connected your souls- you two are fated to be together. If something feels wrong with her, trust it. The imprint lets you be tuned into how she feels, if you think there's something wrong then you're almost certainly right. You have to talk to her, figure out what's going on."

Sam has always been like a big brother to me. The other guys weren't particularly happy with the tribe legends all being true- but not me. I love everything about being a wolf- the speed, the energy, the instant brother-ship that came with being in a pack. Sure it made my hot-headedness a little worse, but who wouldn't make that trade? I have a family now, more than I've ever had.

And now? Now I have my imprint- my soul mate. I have everything I never dreamed I could have, yet I've never felt so... wrong. When Sam imprinted on Emily, he was so overwhelmed with joy there's almost no way to describe it- I've felt it through the pack connection. Why does everything have to go the hard way for me? Not that I would trade my imprinting with Ash for anything, I can already tell she's going to be so perfect for me- but why do I have this feeling? Why can I not shake this feeling in my gut that something is very wrong?