Sigh

It's been another day like any other. Lonely and boring. Your cold walk home from school ends as you reach your front door. Take a deep breath and sigh, your breath becomes visible in the cold. Nothing's changed.

The wind blows your hair around, tickling your face. You reach for the door knob but stop suddenly when you notice a presence.

"Nothing's gonna change Sky, get with the program. This is your life."

You tense up and suck in a breath. Not Audra again. Why does she have to remind you?

"I'm only reminding you because it's the truth skylar." Audra floats in the air to the side of you, looking bored. You turn to face her.

"Awh, Sky you look so sad." Audra taunts. "I tell you this all the time and it still upsets you? You know it's true so why do you still refuse to accept it?"

You can't accept it. There are to many dreams you want to fulfill.

"But that's just what they are aren't they? Dreams." She scoffs. "You are still such a child."

You open the door and go inside. The warm atmosphere of your home, hardly gives any comfort. Kick off your shoes and drop your bag. She follows you, playfully floating through the air.

"Maybe that's why things won't change. How about that skylar?"

Everytime she says your name, it's a joke, she teases you, plays with you. She speaks so little of you in just that one word. Skylar. The name you created for yourself, an alternate you, one who gets to live her dreams, one who isn't trapped here in this stupid, stupid world.

Audra smiles at you. You ignore her. Just keep going, continue on with your day. You do it everyday you know how it goes.

Greet you father who is at the kitchen table, eating a late lunch after work. Look for a snack, find nothing. You don't want to eat anyway, you feel sick.. Cold inside.

Nothing's changed.

You head upstairs, look in the bathroom mirror. Every single tiny scratch is there, you want to tear at your skin. Just to feel something. But you've been trying to let them heal. Leave it alone.
You step on the scale.

"Wow sky, nice job, it hasn't gone up. " She's being sarcastic.

Nothing's changed.

At least it hasn't gone down anymore. That's good.

You open your bedroom door, The air is stuffy and smells like paint, very faintly like that cedar branch you keep on your desk.

Flop down on your bed and wrap up in your old tattered quilt. The softest one in the house and no one else wants it cause it looks gross.

Normally you would pull out your phone and search for comfort in talking to a friend. They are so far away though, sometimes it just makes you miss them even more.

"It's not like Ancora would answer you anyway. He's very busy. You know that." She says exaggeratedly.

You lay back, and stare out the window at the end of your bed. You watch the clouds roll by. At least the sky always changes. It's always different but in that way, it's the same.

You sit up and grab that cedar branch off your desk. Holding it in your hands, you lay back down and close your eyes. As you fall asleep, the cedar smell welcomes you into a new dream.

"You can't escape reality like this forever sky. "

~~~

A bright light dances across you face. It invades your dream, shaking you from it's grasp. That's okay though, your dream had turned out to be another nightmare.