{3} The Tank

[Ash]

We ride through the city for a while, only running into three biters. Where are the rest? I don't understand. There should be a lot of them. But we only come upon three? Something isn't right.

There's a lot of tanks and crashed helicopters. We continue riding until we hear a noise from above.

We look up and see a helicopter through a glass building. "Hyah!" Rick exclaims and the horse lurches forward.

We ride in the direction and turn a corner to come face to face with a huge herd of biters.

My eyes go wide and I hug Rick tighter. "Rick!" I whisper shakily.

"I know!" He whispers back.

The horse starts panicking and Rick turns us around and starts riding as fast as we could go. I turn my head around to see all of them following us.

We stop and I look over his shoulder to see another herd in front of us. "Oh sh**." Rick mumbles.

"Rick!" I panic more as I hold onto him. I look all around us. We're surrounded. There's nowhere to go!

"I know!" He says. I can hear the panic in his voice as well.

"What do we do?!" I ask as I see my mother tearing at my father flash through my eyes.

"I don't know!" He says as he turns the horse around.

A biter grabs my leg and I scream out. There's biters all around us, pulling us down. "Oh god." Rick mumbles as he tries to control the horse.

I fall off the horse along with Rick as the horse goes down. I look around, not able to see him. "Rick!" I call out pushing biters away from me as best I can.

"Ashley!" I hear him call back. I see him in front of me and I crawl to him, pushing a biter off him.

He pulls me under a tank to get away from the biters but they follow. He starts shooting the biters and I flinch, closing my eyes.

"Lori, Carl, I'm sorry." I hear him say.

My eyes shoot open to see him holding the gun to his head. "Rick! No!" I say desperately.

He opens his eyes and looks at the tank above us. He lifts his arms and pulls himself up through the hole.

I panic as he disappears from my view. "Come on!" Rick yells at me as his arm sticks out of the hole.

I crawl over to it and lift myself up the hole with Rick's help. He shuts it and locks it quickly and backs up and stops right next to a dead soldier.

"Oh... God." He sighs.

It stinks really bad in here. He grabs the soldiers gun and then the soldier turns his head to Rick and starts growling at him.

Rick puts the gun at his head and shoots. I gasp in pain at the sound. My ears ring as I cover them.

Rick stands up shakily and goes up the hole and peeks his head out. "Rick... Stop it..." I mumble in what feels like slow motion.

Biters bang on the top as Rick shuts it and falls to the ground. "What are we gonna do? We're stuck in here. We're gonna die like this, huh Rick?" I ask as I lean against the wall.

"Hey, stop it. Where did all that bright side glory go? I kinda need that right now." He says.

I sigh as I look at him. I'm about to speak but somebody beats me to it. "Hey you." A man says over the radio in the tank.

I gasp in fear. Creepy...

"Dumba**. Hey, you in the tank. Are you cozy in there?" He asks.

I look at Rick as he stares at the radio.

"Hey, are you alive in there?" He asks.

Rick jumps up and runs to the radio, me following along. He grabs it, clicks the button, and brings it to his mouth. "Hello? Hello?" He asks.

"There you are. You had me wondering." This man sounded relieved to hear Rick's voice.

"Where are you? Outside? Can you see us right now?" Rick asks.

"Yeah, I can see you. You're surrounded by walkers. That's the bad news." He says.

"There's good news?" Rick asks looking at me.

"No."

My heart sank at that one little word.

"Listen, whoever you are, I don't mind telling you I'm a little concerned in here." Rick says.

"Oh man. You should see it from over here. You'd be having a major freak-out." He says.

Over there? I'm having one right where I am.

"Got any advice for me?" Rick asks.

"Yeah, I'd say make a run for it." He answers.

Rick looks at me with a distressed look. I look at him with fear and concern.

"That's it? 'Make a run for it'?" Rick asks.

"My way's not as dumb as it sounds. You've got eyes on the outside here. There's one geek still up on the tank but the others have climbed down and joined the feeding frenzy where the horse went down. With me so far?" He asks.

I gag at the thought of them tearing apart that horse. It was a beautiful horse.

"So far." Rick replies.

"Okay, the street on the other side of the tank is less crowded. If you move now while they're distracted, you stand a chance. Got ammo?" He asks.

"In that duffel bag I dropped out there, and guns. Can I get to it?" Rick asks.

"Forget the bag, okay? It's not an option. What do you have on you?" He asks.

"Hang on." Rick says as he checks the dead soldier. He grabs a grenade and then looks at me. My eyes widen as I shake my head.

"I've got a beretta with one clip, 15 rounds." He says Into the radio.

"Make 'em count. Jump off the right side of the tank, keep going in that direction. There's an alley up the street, maybe 50 yards. Be there." The man says.

"Hey, what's your name?" Rick asks.

"Have you been listening? You're running out if time." He says.

"Right." Rick says as he grabs a shovel.

He opens the latch and jumps up. He kills the biter that was on top and holds his hand out for me.

Well, its now or never.