Christmas Morning

Ocean

It's the first Christmas I've celebrated in about fifteen years. Crazy right? Well, my uncle never wanted to celebrate with me because I wasn't worth it. I don't blame him. It's hard enough for me on Christmas.

For the first time in well forever really, I was woken up by Hayden. By woken up I mean he was shaking me awake.

His childish happiness caused me to smile, but only for a moment. "Ocean," he whined. "Get up."

I shook my head snuggling deeper under the warm covers of the bed that we were laying in.

"Please." Hayden begged.

I held up my hand, showing five fingers.

"Fine," Hayden huffed flopping back down before pulling me into his chest.
All I wanted was to go back to sleep, but sadly that was interrupted by a loud knocking on the door.

"Come on!" Nicolas sharp voice pierces the comfortable silence.
I frowned and slid my head under my pillow. Which was removed seconds later by Hayden.

"Come on." Hayden's voice was filled with excitement.

I sat up slowly wanting this torture to be over. I placed my feet on the floor my hands searching for my glasses. Once I had slid them on, Hayden lifted me off the bed saying, "you take to long."

He started making his way downstairs, and my nose was met with the smell of bacon and eggs.

Hayden placed me down and I felt a quick dizzy spell wash over me. I stumble grabbing onto Hayden's arm for support. He just laughed, and I shook it off and walked to the kitchen.

Stepping in, I saw Vira standing at the stove. Nicola had many cupboards flung open searching for something.

"Honestly, I can't find it." Nicola said exasperatedly.

Nether girl had noticed me, so I watched as this unfolded.

"He's got to have pancake mix here somewhere." Vira shook her head.

Fighting back a laugh I walked over to one of the cabinets pulling out the large mixing bowl.

"Ocean, perfect timing." Vira smiled. "Can you help us fin the pancake mix?"

I shook my head before continuing on my journey. I pulled all the ingredients out, mixing them together in the right order as the other two girls watched in awe.

"You make them from scratch?" Nicola's eyes bugged out of her head.

I nodded slowly, unsure of how to react.

"But that's so much work!" Nicola started acting in a way I was not familiar with.
"You pamper him too much." She scolded me.

"Now come help us."

After we finished making the food, we stepped out into the living room. The seen that awaited us was all but pleasing. Hayden was holding Jayden and Nick apart as the held pillows high above their heads.

From behind me I heard Vira and Nicola clear their throats rather loudly. "Breakfast is ready." They spoke in sync, not sounding impressed by the slightest.

After all our belly's had been filled, it was time for gifts.

My stomach sat in my throat as Hayden explained how they did gifts. To start, everyone rolled a die and the one with the highest number won. The winner would go to the tree and pull out a gift that wasn't for them. They would then hand it to the person, and we were to watch as they opened it. Then that person would grab the next gift and so on.

Did I have any idea how any of this worked? Nope. Was I scared I would mess this up and make them dislike me? Absolutely terrified.

After rolling the die, the winner, Nicola, stood up and stooped under the tree. She pulled a gift out from underneath and said the name on it. "Jayden."

Handing Jayden, we all watched as he ripped it open. He pulled out bright pink butterfly hair clip. Nick and Hayden both burst out laughing. I glanced around confused.

Vira leaned in and explained. "So, the boys always do one joke gift and a real gift for each other. It's typically something childish." Her tone was barely above a whisper.

I felt my cheeks flush red and hid my face as I nodded. Of course, it was something like that. Why did I always have to do such embarrassing stuff?

Jayden reached in again and pulled out a very nice watch. "Damn." Was all he said before smiling a Nick.

Two other gift had been given, one to Nicola and one to Hayden when I got one.
I unwrapped it carefully before pulling out a book. The tag had said from Vira, and I knew that only she could choose such an amazing book for me. It was a hard cover copy of the newest Arrow Tide books.

Getting up, I choose a gift for Nick.

We went around until there were only two gifts left under the tree. So far from Nick I had gotten a second book, "Meet me in Outer Space". Undoubtedly Vira was the one who came up with that. Its like we were sisters with how she read my mind.

Nicola got me some clothing in a similar style as the ones I got when we went shopping. Jayden had gotten me a deep blue blanket with a little cat head stitched on the corner. The blanket was so soft and warm that Hayden had wrapped me in it.

Hayden stood to grab the next gift. He reached under the tree to grab one of the final two gifts. The box was very small, and it looked like a jewelry box.
When he held it out to me, I took it.

I glanced at the wrapping to see it was from Hayden. I pealed the small layer of tape away to revel an ornate box. It was small enough to fit in my hand with slight difficulty. I brushed my fingers over it in aw.

"Are you going to open it?" Hayden's voice sounded rushed. I glanced up at him confused for a moment. He smiled down at me before lifting the box out of my hand. He flipped open the lid that I hadn't realized was there.
Turning it around, my jaw dropped.

In the small box, nestled among dark satin fabric, was the most beautiful necklace I had ever seen. It had a small chain with a beautiful golden glow. The charm that hung off of it was a heart with small diamond set into it. I slowly reached out to touch it but hesitated, afraid.

"Here." Hayden handed the box to me and I finally ran my finger along the edge of the heart. I closed the lid of the box, placing it down and I reached over and grabbed the last gift.

I held it out to Nick as the package had said. He opens the gift pulling out a face paint kit. "What the heck Jayden?"
"Uhhhh. Payback." Jayden shrugged.
Rolling his eyes, Nick pulled out another thing. Holding it up to the light, he smiled.
"Thanks Jayden."
"Ok, now that's done..."Vira stood up.
"No." Nick cut off Vira. "I have one more gift."
Nick stood up next to her.
"For you."
Nick dropped onto one knee.
"Vira..."