Chapter 1

"We need a way to defend ourselves," Reilly was trying taking charge of the situation. " If we can get to the camping shop down the road, we can get supplies to last us long enough to get to California, that's where they can fly us to Oklahoma." The others looked at him strangely.

" And how are we suppose to do that when there is a mob of those things in our way?" Maggie wasn't having any part in this. " You guys can go ahead and get eaten. I am staying right here and I'm not moving,"

" Do you want to die by your..." Madisyn interrupted Chris, " Reilly's right. We need to get inside the store so we can have real supplies other than these wood sticks!" They discussed this for a while longer until they had a plan, Reilly and Chris were going to go through the middle and try to distract as many of the infected as possible while the girls got inside to grab whatever they could and run back out to help Reilly and Chris. This plan ended up working wonderfully. They got what they needed and started their long trip down to California. They had made it about 10 miles the first day and found an old bunker of sort where they decided to rest for the night. In the middle of the night Reilly woke up to a banging on the door and high pitched screams, he jumped up and ran to the door, but by the time he got there the screams were gone and the banging had stopped. Reilly stopped and listened for a while, but not a sound was heard. Chris woke up about an hour later and saw Reilly wasn't in his sleeping bag, quietly got up and walked to the door to talk to him.

"What's on your mind, Reilly?" He knew that he would have got back in bed if whatever woke him had left.

"Oh nothing much, its just that..." Reilly seemed to trail off into his thoughts " I miss my family. Why would those officers just butcher them like... they're just animals! They didn't even know if they had the disease! "

Chris knew this feeling all too well, He watched as his family was shot by the same officers. " Reilly, I miss my family too, but what happened back there... there was nothing that we could do, even if we stopped them. It was their job to kill who could have been left infected."

Reilly's yelling woke the others but as they got up and walked over to him, they went quiet. There was a strange humming outside, it was almost a melody except for there was no change of pitch... just a low thump thump thump. Without hesitation they all busted through the bunker door and their suspicions were correct. A helicopter had just landed outside and it was still running, they ran over just in time to see that no one was there.

"I will go in first," Reilly was calm and speaking so quiet that the others could barely hear him. He slowly walked closer until he could look into the open front window where the pilot should be sitting, but the body wasn't there. Reilly was hesitant to continue looking around but then something caught his eye, a few broken pieces of glass were on the floor next to the controls. He looked on the other side quickly to see the window was shattered. "Guys, get over here!" Reilly tried to say this in a whisper but it came out as a small shout. The others were next to him in an instant, "Something pulled the pilot out the window, I don't think that anyone else was on board," This was true, the doors were still closed and locked. Reilly jumped in through the broken window and opened the back doors. The helicopter couldn't hold more than ten people in the back, it was a big military helicopter that had an area where the soldiers would sit until they were let out on the battlefield.

"There is nothing back here," Jayda had walked to the front so she could speak quietly to Reilly, "not a single bullet or spare gun," Jayda seemed to feel lost. "Do you really think that we can make it to California?"

"I know we can make it. You sure have been doubtful since all of this started," Jayda gave Reilly a stern look. Reilly let out a small chuckle and closed the back doors once they all got out. "This thing is just about out of gas so it won't help us at all," he paused, trying to think of what to do. Being the leader isn't all that easy, especially when you have been so use to being ignored or on the outside of the group." We need to start moving again; its dusk." As if on cue, the sun came over the mountains that were behind the group of friends. For a moment everyone just stared at the only beautiful sight they had seen since the sickness started. "I must say, that is a great sight to see. Lets continue South."

Without a word, the others followed the road as they headed for the mountains to their left. There was very little side talk for about an hour until they came to a small town. There were zombies in sight so Reilly didn't bother to be quiet."We need to stick together and watch each other's back, other than that, " he paused looked behind him then back, smiling mischievously. " lets see who can kill more infected," About half way through the town, Reilly noticed the same screaming that he had heard that morning. He turned the way the noise was coming from, "There's a Yeller! Everyone get inside now!" Yellers are infected men and women who have adapted to have an unusually large mouth and very strong vocal cords to call other infected to its position.

"This isn't good," Maggie slammed the door behind her, "If she screams, things will get ten times worse. We have to kill her right away!" Everyone looked throughout the house quickly, then went back to the front door. "Did anyone find anything useful?" Everyone shook their heads, then a gunshot came from the attic. Chris had found a loaded hunting rifle with twelve bullets to spare. Reilly shook his head and yelled up to Chris, " And that ties our score Chris, you better stop catching up dude, I may have to start trying soon."

Chris came down stairs, " Then you better start trying, Reilly. I'm just getting started." He had a playful expression on his face, " I also found this for you, I'm pretty sure you are the most experienced one of us all with throwing one of these," He handed him a hatchet. All Reilly did was grin.

¨Well then, shall we continue this game?¨Jayda interrupted after they got their stuff back together. Reilly walked over and kicked the loose door down.