Trick

He was in a world of pain.

Cole lay on the ground of the training courtyard, waiting for the world to stop spinning and for his abdomen to stop hurting. While the world eventually slowed down and stopped spinning, his stomach took ages before it stopped hurting.

A chuckle sounded somewhere to Cole's left. A moment later, his sensei's face appeared above him. "You did very well for your first try," Sensei Wu complimented, though it sounded as if he was holding back a laugh.

Cole groaned and slowly sat up. "Doesn't feel like I did well...."

"No, I would suspect not. Fear not, you will get better in time," Sensei assured him.

A scoff reached Cole's ears then. "Not if you keep charging in head-first like a effing idiot," an echoey voice sneered.

Despite telling himself that he wouldn't, Cole found himself twisting his head some and glaring up at the roof of the monastery. Sure enough, the ghost that hung out around the place was sitting in his usual place on the roof, smirking derisively at him.

Feeling childish(and against his instincts), Cole stuck his tongue out at the ghost.

The ghost's eyes widened in surprise before he promptly scowled and flipped Cole off.

"What are you doing, young pupil?" Sensei asked, sounding confused.

Cole flinched. Crap. "I, uh--there was a... bird on the roof. It looked like it was mocking me." He looked directly at the ghost and gave him a slight smirk. "I was just mocking it back. It's not like it could have done much better."

The death glare that was sent Cole's way almost didn't make the slight worth it.

Almost.

"Ah. Well, while I am sure you are most likely correct, do not underestimate the capabilities of another, be they human or otherwise," Sensei gently lectured. "They may end up surprising you and in a fight, that could have disastrous consequences."

Cole nodded his head. "Yes Sensei."

"Now, let's try this again."

"And this time, get hit in the balls."

Cole fought hard not to throw something at the ghost.

~~~~~

Training to be a ninja was much harder than Cole thought it would be.

Mountain climbing had ensured that he had strength and endurance and, while he hated to admit it, dancing had given him a decent amount of flexibility. However, he was somewhat lacking in the speed category. And, despite what cartoons and movies made it seem, actual hand-to-hand fighting was a lot harder than simple kicks and punches.

What didn't help at all was the fact that, more times than not, Cole would catch the ghost watching him—usually on the roof, but sometimes he'd come down and float over the courtyard, hurling insults down at Cole all the while. When Cole would try to talk to the ghost(or retaliate—some of the stuff thrown his way was downright rude!), the ghost would then vanish to who knows where(with usually one last insult or middle finger).

Cole didn't know why he still tried to talk to the ghost. He was such a jerk! Every night, Cole would swear to himself that he would ignore the ghost from now on, but by the time morning came, he was back at it, with virtually no success.

That is, until he decided to play a little bit dirty.

It was a little short of two weeks since he had started his training. Sensei Wu had gone down the mountain to a nearby village to get some more tea, leaving instructions that Cole was to go through some basic forms with a wooden practice scythe. Sensei had also suggested that, if Cole was feeling brave enough, he could attempt the obstacle course on his own.