Twenty-Eight

Nico
"Where you about to go?" My granny asked standing in my doorway.

"To the hospital to check on Amahd and then I'm gonna pick Romeo up from school."

"Oh ok good. Well you should know that Jennifer's coming over in a couple of days for a cookout and Nancy is too. Just so you won't be surprised when you see her."

"Well I'll stay for a little while and then I'm gonna leave."

"Where else do you have to be?"

I shrugged, "Just won't be here and Romeo's gonna be with Kadeem for the weekend. It's his sister's graduation."

"Oh, ok." She said plainly.

"Yeah. I'll see you later though."

I grabbed my keys and headed straight for the door before getting into my car.

Of course there was something in me that hoped Kyla wouldn't be at the hospital but I wasn't about to keep losing out on the opportunity to see Amahd just to avoid her. I still love him and he's been real supportive to me since I left prison so I owe him the same thing back.

I didn't have any real thoughts about Kyla either. To me she wasn't any kind of real threat because according to Amahd there marriage is over and although she may never be out of the picture because they have a kid together, she don't have the kind of relationship that he and I do. She can't relate to where he and I both come from and the impression I got from her is very uptight and stuck up. That's far from Mahd's type.

I walked into the hospital and headed straight to the elevator so that I could get to Amahd's room. I knocked on the door first before coming in and as I hoped, he was here alone and awake. He looked at me with surprise before giving me a light smile.

"Thank God," I said before rushing over to hug him.

"Nico. I ain't think you'd be here."

"Why wouldn't I be here?"

He shrugged, "Ion know I just-"

"It doesn't even matter. How do you feel? How long have you been awake?" I asked as I caressed his face.

"Since yesterday morning and I'm good now. It's just my leg."

"So you've been awake a full day? I wonder why Chasity didn't call me."

"Maybe because of Kyla."

"Oh, right," I said before pulling up a chair closer to his bedside, "So what happened? I mean like do you remember anything or-"

"It was Sebastian."

"I knew it. I knew that bastard was gonna come back. Damn."

"Yeah he came to the restaurant with the shit. Him and that girl came back begging for money."

"Who is she anyways? She just keeps popping up."

"No I remember her now. She and Bas used to date when he was still in high school til she left him for some other nigga. He was always doing some dumb shit for her so I wouldn't be surprised if she was the one who got in her head to do this shit. Damita. That's her name."

"I knew she had to be crazy. So what are you gonna do about it? Anything?"

"Don't get me wrong I can't believe his dumb ass really shot me but he is my brother and family is a big deal especially to my parents. So this whole thing really puts me in between a rock and a hard place. The police got him already because Kyla somehow found out about it before I even woke up and now my parents are tryna bail him out. It's all up to me now though. Tryna decide if I'm gonna press charges or just let it go and send him to rehab."