Reed and Anderson

(Kamski's POV)

I have a date tonight!

Me!

A date!

A human person has taken interest in me!

"Mr. Kamski, sir?" Comes a voice.

I look up and realize I've been spaced out for a few minutes. David, who works the front desk during the afternoon and evening, is standing in my doorway.

"Yes?" I ask.

"A Detective Reed and Lieutenant Anderson are here to see you." He says.

"Detective Reed? Really? Send them up, please." I tell him. He nods and heads back downstairs.

I haven't seen Anderson since... well... since I made a very bad impression.

Reed on the other hand... I haven't seen him since we were teenagers. Not for lack of trying on my end. I've sent him a birthday message every year in hopes that he might respond... No dice.

I take a few moments to clean up my desk a bit. Once I'm done the door opens and David lets Reed and Anderson in, followed by Connor.

"Hello again... all of you." I say.

"Hello again Mr. Kamski. How is Dani's training going?" Connor asks.

"She's a very fast learner." I tell him. He nods as if he knew that already.

"The threats that were made have been looked into. We've determined that it's safe you you to go home now." Anderson says.

"Thank you, lieutenant. I apologize for the way that our first meeting went. I wasn't exactly pleasant to be around." I say.

"Are you ever?" Reed says, rolling his eyes and crossing his arms.

"Reed can you at least try to be nice? It's all good, Mr. Kamski. No one was exactly pleasant at that point." Anderson says. He holds out his hand for me to shake and I oblige.

"Gavin, it's goo-" I start.

"Don't. I don't want to hear it." He says.

"What the fuck, Reed? What did I JUST say?" Anderson says.

"It's fine, Lieutenant. I grew up with his foul moods." I tell him.

"Wait, what? You grew up with him?" He replies.

"Lieutenant, were you unaware that they are brothers? They look very much alike." Connor says.

"Half! Half brothers! And you should get your optical sensors checked out because we look nothing alike! Thank God too. I'd die if I was that ugly." Gavin says.

"If I'm so ugly, how did I get a girlfriend?" I reply, smirking at him.

I'm also not sure how I got a girlfriend but if I act confident he won't know.

"You? A girlfriend? Is she blind?" He says.

"Nope! She thinks I am though." I reply.

"I think you're lying! You don't even like people!" He says.

He's... not wrong.

"You've got me there. I really don't like people. But I like her." I tell him.

"You didn't even want a relationship with your own brother..." He says. The others may not know him well enough to know his facial expressions but I do.

He's hurting. And it's my fault.