𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚅𝙸 | "𝙳𝚘𝚗'𝚝 𝙴𝚟𝚎𝚗 𝚃𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚔 𝙰𝚋𝚘𝚞𝚝 𝙸𝚝."

⌖

TOMMY WAS QUITE TAKEN back with Evelyn's words. He never knew that he, simple Tommy, would ever be considered great to anyone.

-"You- I-I make you feel s-safe?" He stutters in disbelief.

Evelyn nods in response. Not wanting to ruin the moment. Tommy bites the inside of his cheek. He wasn't worthy enough to her hero.

"But, I-I'm only me," he tries to explain.

-"I know, and that's the exact reason I feel safe." Evelyn smiles lightly.

Tommy looks over at Alex and Gibson who're  doing something else. The Highlanders seem to be in their own little world.

Out of all the men in the world, she feels the safest with me......

( • • • )

It had been (or at least it felt like) three hours had passed. Tommy and Evelyn sit up, wide awake, with their backs against the wall. There was no conversation, there was nothing to talk about. Some of the men felt their throats dry up from a lack of water.

Alex turns to Gibson who was sitting beside him.

-"Poke your head out, see if the water comes in." He instructs.

Gibson shakes his head firmly and wraps his arms around himself tightly. Alex sends him a hateful glare. Evelyn's jaw drops at the sign of immaturity.

"Talkative sod." Alex mutters.

Tommy stands up, climbs up to the door, and cracks it. He crawls up into the well and peeks over the rail- the boat is in inches of water. All hold their breath.

-"Bugger. Barley come in at all." He says while climbing back down. Evelyn lets out a frustrated sigh and others moan.

-"For goodness sakes." Alex gets upset.

-"Calm down. What goes out comes back in, right?" A Highlander tires to ease up an angry Alex.

-"Yeah but how long?" Alex asks irritated with desperation lancing in his voice.

Silence is the only response he gets. This signifying that there are indeed no sailors aboard.

-"Will we ever leave?" Evelyn mumbles softly. Her eyes that were once filled with hope now felt like shedding a couple tears. But she pushed them back. Now was not the time, or place to cry.