Survivor

As the team marched across the green hills that had once been a major battle before the Clone Wars, Castor spied several droid parts littering the area.  Zik picked up a rusty object reassembling a head.

"What is this place?" He asked.

"This was the primary battleground for the Battle of Naboo.  Here, the Gungans fought the droid armies of the Trade Federation, just prior to the Clone Wars.  That, is the remains of what looks like a B1 Battle Droid head," Castor said, clearly knowing his history.

"Your pops teach you that?" Anton asked, nodding at the edge of a lake.

"According to satellite imaging, that's the AO (Area of Operations)," Marku said as he was scrolling on his wrist-mounted tablet.

"Here's the mission: examine the area around the lake.  If it's clear, we head for the swamps.  If we get in trouble, there's a Imperial outpost one point five clicks west of here.  Stay in concealment," Castor said as he flipped his helmet's infrared sensors on.

As they creeped through the woods, the squad checked the lake.  Castor tossed a sensor beacon into the water.  As he viewed the image of the ruined Gungan city, he nodded to his team.  Chances were that these "smugglers" knew the Empire would show up eventually, and had traps laid.  Marku held his wrist out to Castor to see his tablet's screen.  Castor nodded when he saw a cave network nearby.  As they reached the entrance, Castor heard a click behind him.  He turned his head to see Anton shaking.  Looking down, he saw a mine hidden in the leaves on the ground.  Anton took his flamethrower and its fuel tank off.  The last thing they need was that exploding.  A blaster bolt hit the tree next to Castor's head as everyone but Anton jumped behind cover.  He nodded at Castor, who looked at the mine then at his squadmate.  Castor saluted Anton, then braced himself for shrapnel.  Anton hit the dirt in an instant, his body taking the brunt of the explosion.  Everyone looked back at Castor, who now was firing his weapon relentlessly at the Rebels.    As the squad slowly pushed forward, Zik found high ground with good cover and began firing explosive rounds into the cave, lighting it up for his squad and to suppress the enemy.  Marku sent his droid into the cave to get an idea of what was inside.  An explosion went off, severing the connection.

"Guys, we got a problem!" Marku shouted as a mechanical clanking was heard.  Castor shook his head when he saw a captured Imperial AT-ST (All-Terrain Scout Transport) exit the cave.

"Take it down!  Aim for the joints!" Castor shouted as he threw an ion grenade at the walker.

Marku screamed as a round hit his location, sending his body soaring into the air.  Castor and Zik hid behind a rock, dirt flying around them.

"Castor, we need to take out that cannon.  We can can deal with the side blasters far easier if it would stop blowing stuff up around us," Zik said as a blaster shot hit his arm.  Thankfully, his armor didn't give, so it just stung.  Zik threw a thermal detonator behind him, followed by an explosion of dirt and pulverized body parts.  The AT-ST loomed overhead as the pilots couldn't see where they were.  Zik armed an ion charge and threw it upwards, hearing a thud as it attached.  It fired off and shut the gun down.  The walker side stepped around the rock and fired off a storm of blaster fire.  Zik pushed Castor out of the way as he took every shot.  Now alone, Castor ran for the cave.  He hid inside a crack the walker couldn't get to.  He opened his comlink and contacted Theed command center.

"Theed command, this is Sergeant Castor Durk.  My squad is dead or out of action. The rebels have an AT-ST.  I need reinforcements, repeat reinforcements," Castor said.

An officer replied.  "Understood.  Lord Vader will arrive in a three minutes.  Hold them off, trooper."

Castor peered around at the walker.  Behind Castor, was a crate of anti-armor weapons.  If he could hit the cockpit, he might be able to get the upper hand.  Carefully, he aimed and shot the rocket.  The walker cockpit exploded as the walker fell over.  In the smoke and fire, Castor turned on life scanners on his helmet.  He swiftly overtook his enemies and he checked the area for hostiles.  As he left the cave, he saw that an Imperial shuttle was landing.  Vader walked down, followed by stormtroopers and shock troopers.

"Lord Vader," Castor said as he saluted the Sith Lord.

"Sergeant, I see you have dealt with the situation yourself.  I assume that your squad is dead?"  Vader said.

"Yes, sir.  All of them died to traps or the AT-ST," Castor said as he lowered his head.

"That is unfortunate.  But the threat has been dealt with and you eliminated most of the opposition singlehandedly.  Most impressive.  I will mention you in my report to the Emperor," Vader said.

"If you would, speak well of my efforts, my Lord," Castor said.

"Your mission was a success.  Why would I speak ill of your efforts when you squad was ill-trained to fight?" Vader asked rhetorically.  Castor saluted and turned to leave when Vader stopped him.  "Wait.  Your clone armor, is it more suitable for you?" The Dark Lord asked.

"To others, probably not.  But I find it quite comfortable and easier to maneuver in," Castor replied, being careful in his words.

"If you are to join the 501st, then perhaps some clone armor with the proper insignia will be in order.  I will have my aid contact the armory for you.  That is all and well done," Vader said as he walked back in the shuttle.  Castor slid down a rock and leaned there for a few minutes.  He was officially a member of the 501st, under the direct command of the second most powerful being in the Empire.