Prolog

Everything used to be so peaceful. So beautiful. Hopeful and lively. Everything used to be a good place to live. A great time to live. But that all changed very quickly, and there isn't any turning back now. Theres no going back to how it used to be.
There's no more running through a park and laughing, only running through a park silently in fear. Hoping you don't trip. There's no more watching children play in the play grounds and swing joyously. No more normal things.
Just the slow creaks of the swings as the wind blows, and the rare chirps of birds. The few deer that are left. No dogs barking, no car engines turning on, no more trains, and no more car alarms going off because if they did it would cost us our lives.
After all, its us, or the undead.
I've had to leave so many people behind after it all started. I was in school, a junior in high school when the nuclear waste plant exploded in the Shiganshina district. As soon as it happened we were all evacuated, only to be greeted by what we all pushed aside as a fantasy that would never become true.
The only issue was there was only one exit out of our small city that was isolated due to all of the gangs inside. All of the women and children were loaded onto the trains and boats first, and then all the men that would fit on those modes of transportation.
Thats when they showed up. Those monsters that rose from under their graves, and took things that were precious to us. People. People we loved, and people we cared for. Our best friends, our families, or lives. Everything we ever cared about.
I had made many friends, and lost most of them to the creatures of the night. Two remain with me now, Armin, and Mikasa.
Mikasa is the fighter of the group, we've known each other since we were kids, same with armin.
Armin is the brains. He comes up with the plans and the ways to avoid getting eaten. He doesn't have much muscle but makes up for it with brain power.
Thats how we ended up here.
The lifeless, undead world of fear we live in today, fighting to survive against humanities greatest test, that most failed.
They don't only walk. They run. They jog. They sleep, and they hide. Hide around every corner. Waiting for you. If you're lucky enough to come across a sleeper, kill it while you can. Don't ever use a gun. It'll attract them all. The runners walkers joggers and the sleepers.
The sleepers are the fastest, believe it or not. If they wake up, theres no escaping being killed, or worse, being bit. The runners are the scariest, they have so many different speeds. All have lasting stamina. The walkers are the ones you have to worry the least about, since their most common.
We call the runners, joggers and sleepers abnormals. Those are the ones we really look out for. Theres two ways to kill the zombies.
In the back of the neck, directly on the spinal cord, and the head. If you miss those spots you'll probably be dead before you can fix your mistakes, so you have to be accurate.
Here are some rules to survival.
Don't use a gun, it's loud, and it'll attract everything for miles. Besides, you never have to reload blades. Firearms are always a last resort.
Don't move to often, or you'll get tired. Only move when absolutely necessary. And if your going to go nomad, keep stocked up on food and water. You'll need it.
Never travel in groups larger than ten, it's a hazard. The zombies will smell you and find your location.
If you find a place to stay, always board up the windows, and keep your supplies upstairs. If theres zombies downstairs theres no going back down for it.
When zombies attack your base break down the stairs so they can't get up to you.
Leave the slow and sick behind, its you, or them. Survival of the fittest. If someone falls don't try to save them. It's already to late.
Never look back, you'll risk tripping or slowing down. Keep your eyes forward and look for somewhere to escape.
Always think ahead. No matter how skilled you are you won't be able to get out of every situation.
Those are the rules that have helped us survive for so long out in the wilderness. Obey them, and you should be fine.