VII

On my way back home, things didn't quite feel right. Like a gut feeling telling me to jump out with my life before I don't have one and honestly, I wish I would have listened to it. Jump to the first time being home alone with my dad about a week or so later. My mother went to the store and though I begged her to either take me or my dad with her so I wouldn't be alone with him, but she insisted this would be a good time for me to see how he really wants to change and form a better relationship.

What would be the best way to avoid someone for 45 minutes to an hour? I ask myself pacing around my room. Go out? No, he'd ask where I was going. Besides, where would I even go? Sleep? I'm not about leave myself in a vulnerable state like sleeping or showering. After a couple of minutes of contemplating, I decided to leave the house via the bathroom window and try to stop by Murdoc's.

"Just where do you think you're going?" He asked from the bathroom door, watching me climb out the window. Enter panic attack. "We need to talk, Stuart," He said. I'd never seen him look so strange. Sort of sinister and angry and more frightening than I ever saw him. Every bone in my body was telling me to just leave. Leave everything there and never come back, but I couldn't do that to my mother.

"If you ever bring a boy into this house, I'm going to kill you," he deadpanned. 

"And not much better will come to you if you tell your mother!" He added, just before leaving the room. Of course, terrified, I scratched all previous plans. I knew my mother was wrong. So what the hell do I do now? I can't just tell my mother 'cause if my dad finds out, he might actually kill me. My father was never one to make empty promises, so of course, I'm taking it as seriously as possible.

After sitting there in the same place for what felt like hours deciding what I should do, all I knew was I had to get out. I didn't know for how long and I didn't know how I should tell my mom, but if I wanted to live, and for once I do, I had to save myself.

I packed my bags once again and snuck out the bathroom window, quickly and carefully this time. I ran until I got out of my neighborhood and then opened Google maps on my phone. I didn't remember where the apartments were, but I remembered their name and I remember his apartment number. Gemini Village. 666B

On the walk over there, I did something I don't usually do. I riffled through my bag to find my hardly opening box of cigarettes. I don't smoke much anymore, but when I was around 15 and 16, it was all I ever did. I started figuring out how I felt sexuality-wise and had no clue how to cope. I knew my father was homophobic, but I never thought it would go this far.

Around halfway there, I had the genius idea of texting him to make sure he was even home.

'Hey. Shit fell through. I'm on my way over, I hope that's okay.' I sent. Almost immediately, he texted back asking me where I was and telling me he'd pick me up.

When I tried to look around for the signs, I saw a bunch of jocks from school. I also found that I was on the corner of Skyline Ave and Bishop drive, so I texted him that.

I noticed Tom was over there. He was drinking and laughing, looking in my general direction like the other boys. We used to be friends back in year 6 or so, but shit fell apart when he became wrapped up in popularity and didn't want to be seen with the blue-haired freak anymore.

After around 5 minutes they approached me and did what straight jocks did best. Terrorized the living shit out of me.

"Hey hot stuff," one of the boys, Adam, said in a mocking flamboyant voice. "So I wanted to ask you. Did Paula turn you gay? Cause like while you two were dating, we fucked and let me tell ya, I think I would have rather been fucked up the ass. Also like I got this real bad rash on my balls afterward, so like if that's what happened, I couldn't blame you,"

How do you respond to something like that? And for the record, I never got said rash on my genitals cause Paula and I never had sex.

"Let me tell ya, dude, I'm not gay or anything, but like, I'd so suck Ezra Miller's dick," Mathew, one of the other drunk boys stated, changing the subject.

"That's fucking gay, though, dude!" Adam said.

"Well, like, no homo, of course!" He retaliated.

"No homo doesn't matter, that's still fucking gay!" Tom said.

"What do you think, fag. Is it gay if I said no homo?" Mathew asked me.

Right in the Nick of time, Murdoc's Stylo pulled up and honked it's horn.

"Ooh, is your boyfriend picking you up?" Adam asked, grabbing onto my bag.

"He's- he's not my-"

"Aye! Stu, let's go!" I shouted, giving the boys a threatening glance. Adam let go of my bag and watched as I hopped into the car.

"Those your friends or something, bluebird?" He asked, ruffling my hair. Bluebird. I liked it. A lot. So much so that my usually pale completion was now about as red as it could get.

"No, they're actually mean, but I guess they're nice when they're drunk or something," I said, trying to hide my face.

"You know what it might be? They might be drunk enough to be nice, but not too drunk to be absolute buffoons." He said. "I've been there a few times." He chuckled. "You know, I think I'm in a constant state of that, now that I think about it..." He said after a bit.

"So what happened with you and your parents?" He asked.

"Well, my mom finally went to the store and she thought it would be a great bonding time." I started.

"Ah, yes. The classic tale of  The homophone and his gay son. Together once again. What will they do? Bake cookies and watch movies?"

"I wish. I tried to avoid him, obviously, but he caught me sneaking out the window. He threatened to kill me if 'I ever brought a boy to his house,'"

I looked over and saw his hands on the steering wheel gripped tight. His face looked frightening and angry.

"I fucking hate bad fathers. That sounds like something my dad would pull."

He stepped on the gas and clenched his teeth.

"I have half the nerve to drive back there and-" he stopped. "No. You know what? It's fine! You don't have to be around him anymore. Your gonna live with me! I won't let you stay in that environment." He ruffled my hair. "I'm not gonna let the world corrupt another sweet person." He smiled.

A/N just to let you know, as of 5-12-22, there are some changes to the original storyline, this is a republish after I edited some stuff that I no longer think is okay (and some continuity errors and grammar and spelling, etc.) so please take a bit to reread the previous chapters, as there are some substantial changes