Four

Five weeks later, Namjoon and Talia sat in Bang PD-nim's outer office, waiting. They had arrived back in Korea only the previous afternoon, but within an hour of their plane landing, they had both been summoned for meetings with the boss. Namjoon was scheduled to go in first, and Talia could tell he was very nervous. He kept his hand on her thigh and was rubbing it so hard, she thought he would wear a hole through her trousers. She grabbed his hand and held it tightly.

"Joon, take a deep breath," she murmured, "Everything is going to be ok. Why are you so nervous?"

Namjoon started to explain, "He's going to be disappointed. I made a promise to behave professionally and I didn't. I couldn't..."

Talia cut him off, "When did you not behave professionally? You did your job very well; you performed all your duties as leader of BTS perfectly. No one could criticize the way you lead your team. What you and I do during our off hours is our own business. You aren't performing twenty-four hours a day. And we were very careful to keep things very private. I don't even know how he could possibly know already."

"How come you're not nervous?"

Talia responded, "Why would I be nervous? I don't think he can complain about my performance. And if he does, if he's not happy, then that's ok. I can't make every single person happy. But I don't think he'll be upset.Even if he is, what's he going to do? Not hire me full time, that's all. I'll have another job within the week."

"Yeah, a job that will take you away from me," complained Namjoon.

"These are the lives we chose, sweetheart," she sighed, "besides, a new job for me doesn't necessarily mean leaving Korea. There are other K-pop bands that might need an interpreter. Don't borrow trouble. Just be confident when you go in, even if you have to fake it."

Namjoon straightened up and adjusted his shirt, just as Mr. Bang's assistant came over to escort him into the office. Talia squeezed his hand reassuringly just before he left. He looked back and smiled at her.

Namjoon stepped into the familiar office and looked around--same desk, same two chairs, same large windows, even the same green plant on the side table. The only thing different this time was his own nervousness. He greeted Mr. Bang with a low bow.

"Hello, Bang PD-nim. It's good to see you again."

Mr. Bang commented, "It's nice to see you again, as well. I'm eager to talk to you today. I want your perspective on how you think the tour went. Before we get started, would you like some coffee?"

Namjoon declined and waved him off.

"Oh please do. I'm dying for a cup, but I don't want to seem rude," urged Mr. Bang.

He picked up a phone and spoke to his assistant. Moments later, she came in carrying two steaming cups of coffee and set them down.

Mr. Bang sipped his coffee and said, "Ok, let's get down to business, shall we? There are a few areas where I'd like your opinions and your ideas on making things run smoother, if you have any.

"Let's start with Talia--I've already spoken with Manager Sejin and he tells me she has gone over and above what we've requested of her. Not only did she perform her own duties particularly well, but she also started tutoring all the boys in English. I like to hear that. But I want to hear how you think she did, since you're the one she worked with most often."

Namjoon replied, "I think she did amazingly well. She's friendly and everyone loves her. She not only did her own job, but she helped others out whenever she was able to. She's a real team player and would be a great asset to your agency, sir."