Chapter Fifteen: Jake

"You've got to be kidding me," I said, staring wide-eyed into the garage.

"Nope."

"When did you get this?"

"A little while after I took over the inn. I got sick of referring all my guests to the rentals on the island and thought it might be a way to make some extra money."

"Or have some fun on the weekend," I said, running a hand over the sleek black paint.

Jeeps in Ocracoke were like the shiny new toys at Christmas. Every kid wanted one. Sure, you didn't need it, but if you got it, it was a total game changer. There were several rental places up and down the banks where tourists and locals alike could rent a Jeep.

But having one of your own, it was the ultimate grown-up toy.

I'd wanted one for as long as I could remember. Hell, even when I'd left North Carolina, I'd drool every time I saw a Jeep driving by on the busy streets of Chicago. There was just something ingrained in my DNA that made me want to jump in, rev that engine, and get those tires in the sand as quickly as possible.

"You look exactly like a kid in a candy store right now," Molly said, dangling keys on the other side of the garage.

I laughed. "This is so much better. How could you keep this from me? I demand a refund."

"I'll let you drive," she offered, taking one giant step closer.

"Deal." I leaped forward and grabbed the set of keys from her hand.

She laughed as I lifted her off the ground and spun us around.

I felt weightless in this moment.

The shit with Macon?

Forgotten.

The unsettled future with Molly?

Unimportant.

Right now, I was entirely focused on this moment. Right here, right now.

For so long, I'd been so fixated on reaching some distant goal that I completely forgot how to live.

To appreciate the time I'd been given.

To live in the now.

We hopped in the Jeep, armed with enough provisions to supply a small army, thanks to Molly, and headed out toward the beach.

"I can't remember the last time I sat out under the stars," I said loudly, the wind flying around us, blowing our hair, as the town became smaller and smaller in the rearview mirror.

There were several spots in Ocracoke that allowed Jeeps. Picking our favorite one, I headed off-road and onto the sand. It was hard and compact from the constant use, but thankfully, the area was empty today.

Driving toward the beach, I hit the water, giving a little splash on the passenger side.

"Jake!" Molly screamed.

I laughed, loving the sound of her happy squeals.

Taking advantage of the long days, we drove for a while, in and out of the water, until I found a good spot to watch the sunset. It was nearly eight o'clock by the time we set up our picnic on the sand.

"We're going to get invaded by ghost crabs when the sun sets," Molly whined.

"Then, we'd better enjoy it while it lasts," I instructed, not caring in the least if a million of those freakish white crabs joined us.

Today was perfect.

Molly had once again outdone herself in the area of food, pulling out some leftovers from a boxed dinner she'd made for the West Coast couple who were involved in Penis-Gate. They had booked a kayak lesson and hadn't felt like coming home to shower, so feeling incredibly embarrassed, Molly had made them dinner to go.