Chapter one: Before You

Mona Mona Mona Mona

Justin Justin Justin Justin

Claire: Just give up Justin, or else you are going to choke on that beer and die. And I don’t want dead people in my club.

Nina: Yeah Justin, accept defeat now. You have lost it.

Jonah: Who are you talking to, girls? Justin is not going to lose to a girl in beer drinking competition. No way, that is an embarrassment to male drunkards as a whole.

Nina: When was the last time he won against her anyway. Let me think. Maybe the poetry reciting competition in kindergarten. Oh no, Mona had beaten him there as well. Let go Justin, you are done.

Justin was almost choking without air but he couldn’t give up. Monica drank the beer with ease and a smile on her face. At last Justin choked on his beer and coughed and tried hard to breathe; Monica subtly drank up the cup and kept it on the table with a huge bang.

Nina: Winner

Monica: Justin, next time pick someone your own size. You ain’t winning against Mona in this lifetime.

Monica looked at Justin who was lying on the floor struggling for air and she got scared. She sat down next to him.

Monica: Justin, Justin, what happened. Please don’t die. Please don’t die.

Monica sat him up and gave one slap on his back and he coughed and vomited the beer and was able to breathe properly.

Monica: You idiot, how many times do I have to tell you not to compete with me. I always end up taking you to the hospital.

Justin breathed heavily. There were about twenty to thirty people in the club who were laughing at him.

Justin: I am fine, I am fine. You won this time but you will lose the next time.

Justin fell on the floor unconscious and people laughed out loud.

Monica: Here we go again.

Claire: Do you want one more cup Mona?

Monica: Well, maybe. No, no. What is the time now?

Claire: It’s 10, why?

Monica: Oh crap. Grandma would be waiting for me. She asked me to come home before 9.30. I am dead.

Monica immediately picked up her jacket and ran outside the club. She started her bullet and drove to her home. The night wind made her untied hair flow in waves below the helmet. Monica increased the speed of the bike.

*********

'tum hee socho jara, kyun naa roke tumhe jaan jaatee hai jab uthake jaate ho tum..'

It was a beautiful night and the sky shone with a million stars. Ali was sitting with his friends and the locals in an open space and they were singing ghazals and were playing musical instruments. A night as beautiful as this was not to be wasted without music. Ali continued singing.

'tumko apanee kasam jaanejan, baat itanee meree maan lo aaj jaane kee jid naa karo, (yu hee pehlu me baithe raho..'

Ali finished the stanza and took his flute and started playing the same on it. The music flowed through the valley and towards the ice caped mountains. The crowd immersed themselves in his music. Ali was about to sing the next stanza when he heard a voice.

Nigam: Bhaijaan, Bhaijaan. Where are you? Abbu is calling you.

Ali got really annoyed. This happens every time. Whenever he is enjoying with his gang, his brother would interrupt. He got up from the place and said good-bye to his friends and walked to Nigam.