🏜️ 6

Z's POV:

I was walking around the village when I noticed a familiar hood standing on the other street.

Why was I walking around in the middle of a day? I'd like to say it's not a part of my duties and I just randomly thought to do so, but it actually is. I never minded though. I love this place and I hope the people will love me too when I take over my father's position one day.

I walked towards the familiar figure before. They were standing quite awkwardly, head turning from left to right a few times.

"Hello. Are you lost here?", I asked in a hushed tone as I approached the person, afraid of making them run away in surprise. The last thing I would want is to be considered a creep.

"That voice...Zile?"

There's only one person, who knows the meaning of my name other than my own parents.

"J!"

I threw an arm over his shoulder as I removed his hood, messing up his hair.

"It's been ages since we've last met! The length of your hair proves it all. Haha!"

"It has been only a few months and my hair grows quickly. You can't make an exaggerated statement like that.", he retorted.

I shook my head at that. Of course, he would always have something to say. This is why we're best of friends!

"Look, it's the Heir! He do rounds just like what the elders said."

"I know, right? Plus, he doesn't wear formal clothes as rumoured. That makes him kind of cool for me too!"

This happens every time I walk around the village and the children pass me by.

"Little did they know, they're 'Heir' is way too carefree to even bother changing his outdated fashion.", J whispered with a smug.

"Says the one wearing a thick hood in a desert.", I whispered back.

"Back off. You know well that I'm always cold.", he removed my arm over his shoulder and took a few steps away, looking offended.

I swear I find him cute when he does that. We're a little bit gay, aren't we?

"Aw, J. No need to be embarrassed. Come, let me hug that coldness away.", I opened my arms, chuckling at the pun.

"I pity the people of this place when you take over the position. They have no idea how much of a creep you are.", he sighed but gave me a bro hug anyway.

I pulled away from the hug cheekily before saying, "Everyone loves me. Haha. I know you love me too!"

"Never. Stay away from me, no one wants to catch your gayness.", he spat, waving his hands hysterically.

"This is definitely why we're best friends!", he threw me a few glares before flashing me that Cheshire smile. And he still thinks I'm the creep? Hahahaha, I just can't with this guy.

"What are you doing here, anyway?"

"I met this old man on my way to Oasis and he was forcing me to sell him my books. I declined, but he was so persistent and I ended up telling him I'd consider it when I see his small publishing house. I didn't know he'd lead me here.", J explained, fixing his hair a bit before pulling up the hood.

"Fate, it must be. You're stuck with me now. Haha!", I snickered.

"How about you? How come you're walking down the streets? Shouldn't you be doing the duties you left at home when you were busy travelling to well, crappy places?", real shitty places would be more accurate though. I often forget J doesn't curse. I don't think it even suits him.

"I am, actually. Doing rounds is part of my duties too, you know?"

"Let's walk around together, then. I'm done talking to the old man, anyway. That discussion took more time than I expected.", he offered and who was I to tell him no?

I can't wait till my sister sees him. I bet they'll click too just like we did. I wonder how long he's going to be around here though.