Chapter One

If ANY site tries use my story on anything other than Wattpad, IT IS WITHOUT MY CONSENT.

Inform me straight away if you see my name on anything other than wattpad!

Sometimes I wondered why I even bothered.

It was freezing cold outside, rain was dripping down my back as I sat in the woods, waiting for him to come and find me.

Sebastian would make me wait for hours sometimes. He had no sense of time, or at least that was what I tried tell myself.

I knew, deep down, that he just took pleasure in being late.

Clutching my coat closer to my body, I mumbled a few curses under my breath.

Sebastian and I had been going on now for a year and a half, but it wasn't out of love.
He wasn't a big believer in the whole...affection thingy between boyfriends and girlfriends.
He wasn't the type to put his arm around me or whisper secrets into my ear. No, he wasn't the kind of person to kiss your cheek or make you laugh.

The exact opposite, actually.

Sebastian was one of the most respected people in our village- whether you liked it or not, you had to respect him to the best of your ability.

Or else you died.

He was ruthless and crushed everything in his path, and people cowered before him.
With his eyes the colour of charcoal, with matching hair, and skin paler than white snow, he didn't exactly scream 'I come in peace!!'

But he was protection, protection for my mother and I.

My older brother, Jonathon, had left us when he turned eighteen. Nearly two years ago now.
I missed him more and more everyday, and the sounds of my mother crying could be heard at night sometimes.

Jon had been protection enough for us in this world of Shadowhunters. He was the only one who knew what he was doing in my family.
My mother hadn't been a Shadowhunter since she was crippled in her late twenties, right after she had met my dad and had Jon and I.

Then there was an accident one day while she was out, and now she spent her days in a wheelchair, painting.But Jon had been trained.
Dad hadn't trained me, probably because he'd never gotten the chance to.

When Jon was sixteen, dad vanished, leaving us to fend for ourselves.

There were very few of our kind left, and no one else within a five mile radius had a drop of Shadowhunter blood.

Sebastian had made a bargain with me; that I be his... girlfriend for all intents and purposes out in public, but in private, he could do with me as he pleased.

I told him that if it meant my mom and the rest of the village was going to be safe, then I would do it, no questions asked.

Sebastian loved his little games. Nothing gave him more entertainment than playing with people. Mostly mind tricks, leaving them alone for hours, or doing the simplest methods of torture designed to drive people crazy.
Some of them even went out of their minds.

I was no exception.

And so that was how I ended up here, sitting in the woods with my legs aching and my face starting to feel like an ice cube.

He had to come soon. He'd never been away for more than two hours, tops.

I had no idea where I was, truth be told.
He had blindfolded me and brought me out into the forest and told me to sit tight, he'd be 'back soon'.

Bastard.

It was getting less and less common for him to pull things like this, and I was guessing it was because he had other girlfriends somewhere.
Prettier, taller girls who probably had blue eyes and were probably blonde.

Hell, he probably had a girlfriend in every little village like the one mom and I lived in. It wouldn't surprise me.

Seb didn't use me for his own... needs all that much anyways. I was skinny and covered in freckles, as he had pointed out numerous of times.

Lately, he'd been more wound up. Snapping at the littlest things, and treating everyone worse than usual.

My best guess was that he was most likely butting heads with Jace Herondale once again.

Jace was 'The Leader'. Everyone in Alicante knew of him, and everyone wanted to be him. He was one of the greatest Shadowhunters to have ever lived.

It didn't help the fact that he was gorgeous, which basically meant that he had girls falling at his feet and had an easy time making deals with other surrounding countries.

His cousin, William Herondale, was second in command, although they didn't live together. They were plastered all over the television stations and magazines that no one in my neck of the woods could afford, they were unstoppable.

Even for someone like Sebastian.

Speaking of, I could slowly start to make out his shape coming towards me through the foliage of the forest.

He was hard to see, since he was always dressed in the Shadowhunter black, and his hair and eyes blended in.

"Hey," I called out, forcing a grin onto my face, "I thought you'd forgotten me."

He shrugged. "A few times. But then I remembered your hair," he flicked a stray strand into my face. "And all was well." He frowned. "Have you ever considered maybe dyeing it? Brown would be good, but blonde would be better."

I pulled one corner of my mouth up, trying not to show how much his comment stung. "What can you do?" I replied lightly, shrugging.

He scowled. "Not talk back, for one. You know I don't like to argue. It's so... pointless, Clary. Especially when you know, and I know, that I'll win every time."

I forced out a laugh.

"Believe me, I know."

* * *

"Mom?" I called as I stepped into our small, one story house. "Where are you?"

There was a muffled reply that came from upstairs, and I hurried in that direction.

She was sitting in front of one of her homemade canvases again, mostly made out of old, white t-shirts and old newspapers that she'd managed to soak the ink out of before she let them dry.

They were an impressive size, and I knew that it made her happy to have something to do all day. Something other than wonder about what had become of her husband and son.

"You look cold, Clary." She said, scolding me as if it was my fault. "Where have you been?"

I shrugged. "With Sebastian. You know he likes to take his time."

She sighed and turned back to her painting. "You shouldn't have to do that, Clary. Not for me and not for anyone else. It's not your responsibility to take care of the whole town, you know."

"I know, mom." I answered with a sigh. "But if I can, then I should, right?"

She turned and looked at me, green meeting green.

"You do what you have to do, and that's all."

I nodded as she kissed my cheek.

"I know, mom."

A/N:

Whoop first chapter done! Hope you enjoyed xxx

Just a slight warning: This story is going to be quite mature, especially chapters with Sebastian in them (I tried to filter this chapter as much as possible, hopefully it didn't trigger any of you <3 ) but it will get lighter as the story progresses- just the background of Clary is going to be... mature, to say the least.

Tell me what you think of the story so far! Xo

Until next time 🍋🍋