Chapter seven: The truth

"So... you expect me to believe that our mom left this years ago, in hopes that I'd find it... now?"

"No. Our mom left it now, in hopes that you would go back to the house."

"But... the fire..."

Clarity sighed again. "Well, our parents did go missing, except... they're just... not in this town."

"Where are they, then?"

"They live somewhere in Atlantis." Clarity said.

"Atlantis?"

"Yes."

---

"But... Atlantis isn't real." Jess said.

"Oh, it is," Clarity argued, "why don't you just ask Dex?"

"But... it's just a myth..."

"Are you sure?" Clarity asked.

Jess nodded. "I know it is. But... what did she mean you'll know what to do?"

Clarity sighed. "Well, when you were three, mom hid a gift for whenever we had to leave. I just... don't exactly know where it is."

"So... somewhere in the world there is this 'gift' that mom left for us, and you have absolutely no idea where?"

"Well, I have an idea. But we'd have to ask mom. She told me when you were little that if we found a note like this we'd meet up. The only problem with that is we'd have to ask the Black Swan's collective where she'd arranged the meeting for."

"And... who is this Black Swan?"

"It's this group that mom and dad are in."

Jess nodded slowly. "Right. I still don't believe a word you're saying."

Clarity sighed. "Okay, that's fine. We just have to find the Black Swan and show them the note. Got it?"

Jess nodded. "And how do we find this Black Swan?"

Clarity bit her lip. "I'm not sure."

"So not only do you have no idea where we have to meet up, but you also have no idea where to find the only people who do know?"

From the corner of her eye, Jess thought she saw a girl turn into a wolf, and a memory came flooding into her mind, though Jess never took her eyes off of the path the girl took.

"Jessica and Alice were twins, Osiris. Do you know how bad it could have been?" Jess's mom asked her dad in a quiet voice.

"Listen, I understand how bad twins would be, I really do." Osiris replied. "But do you think she'll be okay?"

"Yes, Osiris! Someone will surely take Alice in."

Osiris sighed. "Fine. I trust you. Let's go see Jess. I wonder how she's doing, what with us moving to the Forbidden Cities."

Jess quickly ran back to her room, trying not to be seen.

Jess blinked. She had a twin? Since when?

"Jess?" Clarity asked.

"What?"

"Were you listening?"

"Uh... no, sorry." Jess admitted. "I just... saw someone. I'll be right back."

Jess followed the path the other girl took, shifting into a wolf on the way.