Chapter 5

Lauren woke up earlier than usual the day after Camila’s accident. Not because she had anything to do earlier, but simply because she couldn’t sleep at all, a lot of nightmares helped too. She didn’t feel as tired as she probably should, but her eyes burned, and the few hours she was able to sleep felt like the blink of an eye. Tired of staying in bed waiting for the sun to show up, the green-eyed brunette got up from her bed and decided to make breakfast.

She lit the small lampshade resting on the nightstand beside her bed and checked her phone. 4:58AM, the clock made the girl sigh.

The last message was from Shawn wishing her good night; she had fallen asleep – if you can call that sleep – talking with the boy.

She put the phone back upon the nightstand and went to her bathroom to brush her teeth. Walking out of her bathroom, Lauren searched for a hoodie,
it was still pretty cold, and rather dark, Lauren concluded taking a look through her window.

Her street was calm and silent, everyone was still deep in their sleep, except the ones who were hunted by the pain of insomnia, or simply couldn’t close their eyes for two hours straight, which was her case.

The sky struggled to keep the light of the stars, and the pale moon refused to go to sleep too, but the sun was already waking up, this way the sky looked like a battlefield.

The brunette left her room and headed to the kitchen. She tried not to step in anything, her father would have to wake up in a few minutes and he’s the type of person who gets pretty mad if he loses one second of sleep. She walked past her parents’ room and down the stairs without making much noise, then heard the sound of plates and spoons tapping against each other, coming from the kitchen.

Walking through the big hall, the girl was able to get to the kitchen and see what was happening. Her father was standing in front of the kitchen sink, washing last night’s dinner dish.

“Very good! Show me some service,” Lauren said playfully while walking into the kitchen.

“Oh, hi sunshine. Good morning” the man greeted the brunette.

Lauren walked to him and kissed him on the cheek, “good morning, kiddo”.

Lauren’s father name was actually Michael. She and her father always had a great relationship. The man’s support in everything the brunette does in her life was the important bridge that brought them to the relationship they have today. Michael’s help and support in a very dark time of Lauren’s life, not too long ago, was also helpful to make bring them to where they are today, in terms of maturity, and the father-daughter relationship too.

“What happened? Fell off your bed?” Michael joked.

“Nah, just couldn’t sleep anymore” Lauren shrugged her dad’s pun.

“How ‘bout you? What are you doing awake this early? Hibernation season ended earlier?”

“Nah, just couldn’t sleep anymore” Lauren’s father mimicked the brunette, making her roll her eyes.

“Sit down, I made coffee”.

Mr. Jauregui finished washing the dishes and washed his hands, then wiped it on the napkin that was resting on his shoulder.