4-Negan-4

I gave the kids a free day today, becuase quite frankly. I was a little hungover and I didn't want to deal with their complaining today. I leaned my back up against the wall and paid attention enough to know if anyone was doing anything completly stupid.

Carl didn't seem as bad as he was yesterday, but he wasn't okay either, I could tell just by the way he carried himself. One of his friends would make him laugh but then as soon as they turned around his laughing would cease and his smile would fade. I didn't know how to help him and everything inside me was screaming to do something. As soon as class was over I pushed myself off of the wall and walked over to Carl.

"You okay kid?" I asked. He looked up at me a little shocked and shrugged.

"How'd the visit go, is your dad okay?"  Carl nodded.

"Yeah dads okay, he's still asleep though." carl said, a crestfallen look on his face. I gave him a soft smile.

"That's good." after a moment an awkward silence settled over us. Carl glanced up at me, chewing on his bottom lip.

"Can I ask you something?" he asked. I nodded. "Of course."

"When crazy and insanely hard to deal with things happened to you what did you do?" he asked. I thought for a moment. I honestly didn't know how to answer that question for a second. I let out a nervous chuckle before speaking.

"Well shit.. I didn't deal with grief that well for my whole life pretty much until I got my dog Gunner. I don't suggest doing what I did." I said.

"What did you do?" Carl questioned.

"I slept around and got Shitfaced all the time." I explained. Carl looked a little shocked and nodded.

"Sorry." he mumbled. I just shrugged it off.

"No need to be." I said. "My suggestion is to get a hobby or something to take your mind off of all your shit. Whatever you're into, just spend some time doing that." I said shrugging.

"Yeah, like what?" Carl asked. I just shrugged.

"I don't know. What ever you like I guess, as long as it isn't unhealthy shit obviously." I explained. I really hoped the kid wouldn't do something stupid like I would have. If that were me I would be high and drunk all the time, and those are some horrible ways to deal with your problems.

"Anyway, you better get to class okay?" I said. "Ill see ya tomorrow." Carl gave me a small smile and walked out if the gym.

---

I was locking the outside gym doors before I left to get into my suv. I started the car up and drove down the road toward a home.

Out of the corner of my eyes I noticed someone walking with their head down and their hair in their face. It didn't take me long to figure out it was Carl. Why was he walking home? Where's his mom? Why didn't he have a ride? I sighed and pulled up behind him.

"Hey kid!" I said loud enough for him to hear me. Carl looked kinda startled but he calmed down when he saw it was me.

"Hey Coach." He said with a small wave. I motioned for him to come closer and he did as he was told.

"Where are ya going?" I asked.

"Home." he replied.

"Why don't you have a ride? Where's your mom?" I asked him. Carl shrugged and simply said, "Work." I nodded. "Do you want a ride?" I asked. Carl looked tempted but he just said.

"No, you probably don't live close to us anyway, I don't wanna bother you." he said waving me off. I shook my head and rolled my eyes.

"Whatever just get in the damn car." i said as I opened the passenger door for him. Carl gave me a small smile and walked around to the passenger side. He set his bag down and then hopped in, putting his seatbelt on right away.

"What's your address?" I asked. Carl told me as I punched it into my GPS. He only lived about ten or twenty minutes away from me, which was a little surprising. There wasn't much talking during the drive, that is until Carl piped up.

"How's your dog doing?" He asked. I smiled, any mention if my buddy always made me happy, he was like my son.

"Gunner's doing great. If you look in the glove box I think there should be some pictures of him." I said. Carl opened the glove box and started digging around until he pulled out an envelope containing a bunch if pictures of Gunner. Carl started flipping through them with a smile on his face.

"He's a beautiful dog." Carl said smiling slightly. I smiled as well and nodded.

"That he is." I agreed. For the rest of the drive Carl continued to look at the puctures, occasionally saying something about them.

I pulled into the driveway and parked the car. "This is it?" I asked, just making sure I have the right place. Carl nodded.

"Thank you for bringing me home." Carl said as he got his stuff together and opened the door. "See ya tomorrow." Carl said before closing the car door behind him. I didn't pull out until Carl got to the door, just wanting to make extra sure he was okay.

I backed out of the driveway and drove home. It didn't take to long before I was parking my car once again, but this time at home. I got out and walked inside, greeted by Gunner jumping around and barking.

"Hey bud." I said happily and I rubbed his head. He whimoered as me and nudged my hand when I pulled it away. I chuckled and shook my head slightly. I got everything situated, ordered a pizza and sat down on the couch to watch some boring ass tv.

For some reason Carl would randomly come up and into my mind. I told myself it was just me wanting him okay. And it was honestly from that point on that I decided I was gonna make it my personal job to see him be okay.

(A/N: Okay so sorry for the lack of updates on literally everything, two, I wrote this late at night I am tired)