Sana

When I moved to Korea alone, my dad told me a secret. A family secret.

"Your mom didn't die because of a cancer. She died because of me."

"Dad, what do you mean?"

I couldn't understand what he was saying. It just made me confused.

"In your mom's side, they have this unique sickness. When you get heart broken, it'll happen to you."

He explained the sickness but it was still all blurry in my mind.

"... I didn't know about it, until I broke your mom's heart... Until I had an affair." He finished explaining and cried. "So Sana, please don't get your heart broken."

... How I wish heart break could be avoided... How I wish that sickness didn't occur...

---

"Why am I like this?" I asked to no one in particular and let my body fall to the sofa

"Why are you like what?"

My body flinched when a voice whispered behind me.

"Momo! Are you trying to kill me?!" I asked and hold my chest

She laughed at her little prank and hopped beside me.

"Why would I kill the most beautiful person that exist?" She asked, adding a wink at the end

"Shut up and DON'T ever do that again."

She laughed again and placed her arm around my neck.

"You sounded a little bothered earlier,  what's wrong?"

I heard worry in her voice, despite of the smile plastered in her face right now.

"I think I like someone..." I started and looked around, making sure no one else was here

"Don't worry, they're all resting in their beds." Momo assured. "So why is liking someone bothering you? Liking someone is normal."

"But... I like... a girl..." I confessed and avoided her eyes

I was expecting her to be disgusted or react violently, but what happened was the complete opposite of it.

"I like a girl too." She said it like it was normal. "You know, I don't think that liking someone with the same gender is a big deal. Who said girls could only like boys and boys could only like girls?"

Her words were like magic that drove away my anxiousness. My feelings took over me and I hugged her as tight as I could.

"I'm really thankful that you're my best friend."

"Me too." She answered but it sounded like she was suffocating. "But- can't breath-"

That's when I realized I was hugging her too tight. I let go of the hug and she panted to catch her breath.

"So, can I ask who you like?" She asked all of the sudden

"I uh..." I was hesitating, but the look in Momo's eyes was expecting an answer. "I like Mina."

There was a silent pause for five seconds. Was she not expecting that I like Mina?

"If it's Mina, then why don't you confess?"

"Eh?"

"I mean, Mina is also our best friend and I think she likes you too." She smiled

"You think so?"

"Yeah."

---

"Of course I like you too." Mina answered with her signature gummy smile. "We wouldn't be best friends if I don't like you so yeah, I really like you- wait, not romantically because yikes, that would be disgusting."