SWAN SONG.

The truth is this, every monster you have met or will ever meet, was once a human being with a soul that was as soft and light as silk

Someone stole that silk from their soul and turned them into this.

So when you see a monster next, always remember this. Do not fear the thing before you. Fear the thing that created it instead.

THE TRUTH ABOUT MONSTERS / NIKITA GILL

     THE VERY CONCEPT OF THE HUNGER GAMES WAS NOT CREATED TO BE PRACTICED

THE VERY CONCEPT OF THE HUNGER GAMES WAS NOT CREATED TO BE PRACTICED. That was, until the Capitol saw it as an opportunity to further establish their power over the inferior districts, whose then-recent rebellion crashed, burned, and fizzled out not long after. Six decades later, the Games had evolved and continued their annual appearance. The country of Panem now revolves around the event. If the districts weren't tuned into the twenty-four hour broadcasts of the Games themselves, they were attending the mandatory visits of the most recent Games' victor.

Victors. The Capitol's life source. Stripped down to their bare bones after enduring the hell that is the Hunger Games until they're nothing but an empty shell of a person who no longer remains.

They're easier to manipulate that way. Easier to carry out the lives set out for them as soon as they become an unfortunate victim of the Reaping, thoroughly plotted by a group sitting around a circular table, all making desperate attempts to appeal to the man adorning a white rose in fear that this time, their wine will have been the tainted chalice.

Easier for President Snow to portray his role as the master puppeteer behind a silk curtain, moving each of his victors' limbs at his own totalitarian will. And though merely the ripe of twelve, Mira Bielatir would not be spared. Instead, she'd be showered in empty promises and given a new identity to mold herself into, penned by a hand other than her own.

Albeit selfish, the Capitol is biased towards itself and ignores its own mistakes; to them, they can do no wrong. They don't acknowledge that an abuse of power leads to mutations in the system that later become their largest threat. She may age, but Mira Bielatir will forever be viewed as Panem's Princess, presumed to be eternally young and naive. Rather than stripping away her power, however, she only grows stronger. Angrier.