eighteen

"Who's this, Laurie?" Asked Frank, looking at Eddie with squinted, curious eyes. Eddie could feel his pulse quicken, because his father was just across the room. He could hug him.

Laurie looked at Eddie and nodded to Frank. She was waiting, as well as Richie, who stood behind the brunette, still as a stone.

"It's me, Eddie, dad." Said Eddie with such a sickenly soft tone. It was obvious how tense and antsy he was. Eddie's foot swayed back and forth on the carpet as Frank just stared at him for a moment.

"Frank?" Laurie got his attention again. "Aren't you going to say hello?"

"Er," Frank stepped forward. "Hello, Eddie."

Eddie smiled and stepped towards him, wrapping his father in a hug. "Hey, dad." He sniffled.

"Woah there, big guy. You've grown so much." Frank pat his back.

Eddie pulled away, wiping a tear. "You're here..."

"I'm right here, bud." Frank grinned. "Why are you here, Eddie?"

"Because..." He paused for a moment and looked at the three people he's related to. He felt so happy to finally be there. "I wanted to stay with you."

Frank did not seem pleased with his answer, so he motioned for his son to sit down on the couch. "Didn't I already tell you, Edward?" He asked, while sitting down next to him. He observed how skinny and small his boy was, how his hair was curly and curved around his ears. It reminded him horribly of Sonia.

"What is it?"

"You can't come with me and my family to California." Frank said plainly.

"But...I am your family..."

Richie decided not to intrude on their conversation, so he turned away. He really didn't want to see Eddie's dreams get crushed.  They had traveled for a week or two to get here, and now Frank was crushing the poor boy.

"Edward, if your mother put you up to this I will not tolerate it. You-you need to go back home in Maine."

"That's not my home. Dad, I hate it there. And I hate being with mom. So can't I stay with-"

"No. I know that you ran away, Eddie."

"...What?" Eddie felt fear course through his body, his eyes widening a little at his dad.

"It's in the newspapers." Frank shook his head. "I know you and Richard-" he motioned to Richie, "- have run away to get here."

Laurie's brows binded. What was Frank talking about? "They should stay with us, Frank. At least for a few days."

Frank turned back to her, as well as Eddie. "We leave in a week, Laurie. We're already packing..."

"Which means Eddie and Richard could help us!"

Richie smiled at her. She was a much better mother than Sonia and Maggie combined. She was so kind to them, despite the situation. Richie was glad she was Eddie's step mother.

Frank sighed. "I can't believe you would run away, Eddie. I'm disappointed."

"Dad..."

"You can stay with us for two days. Got it? But you and Richard have to leave."

Eddie's world shredded. He expected his father to show him much needed love, the love he'd been craving since he was little, but he was forcing him out even though they had just met again. Eddie looked down; Nonetheless, he nodded. He accepted that his father didn't want him. "Okay..."

"Good." Frank stood up. "It's getting late, but there are a few extra blankets and pillows for you and your friend."

Eddie nodded again. "Alright. Thanks, dad."

Richie put his hand on Eddie's shoulder for comfort, and Laurie eyed them suspiciously. To her, Richie seemed to care about her step son very much, and she felt glad that Eddie had such a supportive friend. Laurie went to Anthony's room to put him in his crib, the baby had fallen asleep. She couldn't really believe that Eddie and Richie had run away to get to her house. She was also surprised by how Frank immediately dismissed his son. How crazy was that?

Laurie looked in the crib before hearing footsteps behind her. She turned around, seeing that Richie was standing by the doorway.

"Hey," Richie said. "I'm glad your Eddie's step-mother."

Laurie smiled at him. "Really, Richard? That was unexpected." She chuckled.

"He needs you..."

"Why?"

Richie gulped. "It's really rough at home for him. 'ts why we came here. He wants help from his dad but-"

"Frank's a bit stressed right now. We can help you young boys tomorrow."

Richie nodded, a small smile on his face. "He really loves his dad. But I don't see him getting much love in return."

The woman sighed deeply. "Sweetie, I do think it's because of Frank's stress...he also has this condition-"

"You're basically a better mom than we've ever had. Can you- can you spend some time with him?"

Laurie nodded, her hands folding across her heart. "Of course, Richard. He's Frank's son. Of course I will."

"Thanks... Tony's such a cute baby."

"He is, isn't he?"

"Eddie really adores him."

"I can tell."

"...I think I should check up on him." Said Richie. "Thank you for letting us stay."

Laurie pat Richie's shoulder. "Sure, sweetheart. By the way, dinner should be ready soon."

Eddie drowned himself in the guest bedroom's matress. There was so much swirling in his mind. So much extruciating suffering. His father said it himself. He was disappointed.

Jesus, he was so stupid, he thought to himself. How could he run away from Derry and not expect this? Of course Frank wouldn't let him stay. He had a wonderful wife and a newborn child. He was moving to fucking California soon and all of a sudden, ta-da!- his first son shows up in his living room (with his friend, for Christ's sake!) and wants to stay!

Eddie wanted to cry.

And then Richie came into the room, laying down with Eddie on the bed and wrapping his arms around him.