Chapter 1

I can't believe I fucking got third place, just barely as well. Only Andrew and Griffin came ahead of me taking first and second place away from me. Meaning I simply won't be going to nationals anytime soon.

Stumbling I sat down on the side bench dragging out my bag from underneath the seat. The straps were getting rather tattered so I had to be careful about how I pulled on them. I unzipped the bag and pulled out my water bottle and towel. Right now screaming into the towel was very tempting but I settled for just wiping away the sweat from my face. My heavy breathing echoing inside my own head. How could I have failed so much today. I sat on the bench for a minute just resting my face on the towel in my hands. My legs were sore so I needed the break.

The others started coming to the bench for their stuff. They were busy before, congratulating Andrew and talking to each other on the track. To avoid eye contact I just twisted off the lid of my water bottle and slowly sipped at it.

This was my chance to go to nationals and get noticed by the big leagues. It's been something I've been practicing for nearly my entire life and yet nothing came from it. I was too cocky and thought I could sprint the last part but my endurance didn't keep up and they passed me. I was stupid and paid the price. Why was I so dumb. He wouldn't make such a glaring mistake.

Then I could sense someone approaching me and I looked up from the damp towel. Andrew was standing in front of me with his red undershirt stained with sweat and sticking to his body. He worked himself farther then he had on any other meets to beat me.

"Hey Prince, you did really good today, don't beat yourself up too hard," Andrew said as he approached me. "It takes some talent to keep first for that long, you're a great runner." His smile beamed at me.

"Huh-uh, thanks, Andrew. Congrats on the win and good luck in nationals," I droned.

"Thanks, dude," He paused. "Uhh.. gonna have to bounce right now but you're good, really good. Definitely try for nationals in your senior year again."

"Yeah totally doing it again." Because I need a way out of this town desperately. But I don't tell him that.

"Dope, see you sometime," He said as he walked away from the bench and into the bleachers.

I never really liked Andrew but that's probably because he's my competition. Someone I have to prove myself to. Maybe that's unfair to base your opinions of someone else on such trivial thinking but I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Putting my bag down on the bench I laid down, using it as a pillow. I groaned as sunlight burned my retinas and I had to cover my eyes just to see.

All I want to do right now as go to Mary's house and talk myself out with her. She is my rock in the ground when I felt like nothing was stable. If I needed some good social therapy she was my go to. Basically a glorified sister in a way.

After several minutes of droning between almost falling asleep and cloud watching, I stood up. I needed to get out of here.

I packed up, haphazardly stuffing the towel back into my black bag, still making sure not to mess up the pins covering the top of it. I threw it up onto my shoulder and started leaving the track. Not really caring if I was still in my shorts and running shoes. Might even run to Mary's house to make use of the gear. I Pushed past the crowd of the audience trying to leave through the small gate in the fence, mirroring how a funnel worked.

Once I made it out to the parking lot of the school I took some breathes while attempting to untangle my earbuds, if I was going to run again I'm going to need some Arctic Monkeys to hype me up. Once I had the wires straightened out and not looking like my hair in humid weather I silenced the world around me and started to run.