Dedication

"So, how did the idea of planting saplings come to your mind, Mrs. Sampoorna Kumar?" asked a cheerful RJ Ramya of the popular city Fm channel.

                  Sampoorna remained silent for a second, giving a wry smile, she said, "A few months ago, I saw a little girl watering an almost dying sapling. She was talking to that sapling. She said, "Our teacher told us to show dedication towards tree because you form the basis of life." That is when I decided to plant saplings and ask people to look after those planted saplings."

                   RJ Ramya looked impressed. Giving words to her feelings for her listeners to feel connected, she said, "So the little girl was your inspiration. This proves we can get inspired from anyone, anything or any moment in our day-to-day life."She again asked, "Did the whole event act as an inspiration for you Mrs. Kumar or was it a certain part that made you take such a decision?"

                    Sampoorna looked at her, then answered, "It was a word that the little girl used. The word was dedication. Ramya, do you know the Hindi word for dedication? It's SAMARPAN."

                    Samarpan was driving the car, when he switched on the radio. Listening Sampoorna's voice on the radio startled him. He was not aware of the fact that his wife, yes, Sampoorna was being interviewed. So, on hearing her voice he was all ears to the interview. And when she told about the word that inspired her, his eyes went wide. He felt a wave of tremor go through his body. How did he and she drift apart was the first thing that came to his mind. The signboard of the school brought him out of his reverie. 'Little angel' school where his daughter – 'his and Sampoorna's daughter'- he corrected mentally, studied. He waited outside the school for Srishti to come out once the bell rang.

                      Standing there, he got drifted to old memories. Sampoorna and Samarpan got married into an arranged one. They were very happy together. Their life was a contented one. Soon their happiness got multiplied manifold with the birth of their daughter, Srishti. Everything was going on smoothly, when Samarpan started seeing faults in Sampoorna. Three years into their marriage, not a single complaint and now suddenly pointing even the smallest, silliest thing. Samarpan raked his fingers through his hair. Niharika's presence added fuel to the fire and before anyone could understand what was happening, he shifted to the apartment near his office. He had been living there for six months now.

             Their daughter, who was studying in upper kindergarten, lived with Sampoorna while he made it his duty to pick her up from the school so that he could spend some time with her as these days he was working from his apartment. Yes, apartment it was and not a home, he realized it now when he heard his name in Sampoorna's voice. The emotions in her voice made him feel so many things all at once. So he decided to read the letter that she gave him almost a month ago, one that he decided not to read ever. But the emotions in her voice, the way his name sounded in that interview, changed his mind.

              "Papa", a squeal brought him out of his thoughts. 'Little angel,' he thought 'perfectly fits to my little angel, Srishti.' Taking her in his arms, he greeted her, "How are you angel?" "I am fine, papa," she giggled.

                After depositing her safely in the backseat, he drove back to his apartment. His mind kept playing 'read the letter' on a loop. He was still thinking about the letter, when Srishti called him. "Papa you know, an RJ interviewed Maa today. I did not know what an interview is, so my teacher told me its meaning", she giggled. "She also told me and my class that maa plants saplings on different places across the city. She said that it is a very good work". Samarpan smiled at her through the rear view mirror and nodded.

               After a few seconds, Srishti said, "I am proud of Maa. She said we are proud of someone when they do good work, like when I finish my homework or glass of milk; she says she is proud of me." Her eyes twinkled as she said this.