𝐨𝐜𝐞𝐚𝐧 𝐞𝐲𝐞𝐬

ǝʌoɹɓɹɐɥ ʎllıq

PROLOGUE.

Elizabeth Henderson sat with Nancy Wheeler and Barbara Holland in her bedroom, gossiping and letting the feminine chatter fly in the warm atmosphere mindlessly. The small fairy lights above Elizabeth's headboard lit up the room with a soft glow, creating a peaceful look. Her white comforter stood out next to her dark bedside tables and black window curtains.

Barbara accidentally spilled a drop of nail polish on Elizabeth's carpet, and much to Elizabeth's dismay, the nail polish was a dark blue color. It contrasted well with the cream colored flooring. "Shit!" Barbara cursed, rushing to clean her small mess.

Elizabeth laid a hand on Barb's shoulder, smiling gently. "It's okay, Barb, it's just a tiny spot. My mom knowns how to get stains out really well so don't worry." She reassured, letting Barb relax and go back to painting her toenails under a towel this time.

Nancy looked up from her clothing magazine and wiggled her eyebrows at her two best friends playfully. "So," she dragged on, grabbing the attention of Elizabeth and Barb. "Who is going with who to the Snow Ball?"

Elizabeth shook her head and went back to doodling random shaped and figures mindlessly on an old newspaper. "I'm not going with anyone." She scoffed, momentarily looking over at a red-faced Barb. "What about you?"

Barb's cheeks turned a rosy shade of red at the question, a small shy smile appearing on her face. "I really like Danny Martin. I'm hoping he'll ask me to go." She gushed, Nancy and Elizabeth's jaws dropping and eyes widening at the news.

"What?" The two yelped at the same time, laughing in excitement. "That's amazing!"

Barb shook her hand emphasizing that it was no big deal, rolling her eyes softly. "Don't get all excited. He might not even like me back!" Barb attempted making excuses, but she really was trying to ease her nerves because she knew Danny liked her just as much as she liked him.

Nancy laughed, dropping her magazine and skipping over to Barb, ruffling her red and curly hair playfully. "I can't wait to see little Danny's and Barb's running around the Snow Ball!"

Elizabeth cracked up at Nancy's joke, Barb gasping in shock before laughing along with her best friends.

"Oh, whatever, Mrs. Harrington!" Barb chuckled, looking up at a now silent and blushing Nancy.

Nancy allowed Barb and Elizabeth to joke around for a few minutes about how good their kids' hair would look and how many of them would have Nancy's toughness or Steve's eyes. "Okay, okay, enough." Nancy said, holding her hands up to signify that the girls could stop their gushing.

"There will be no babies any time soon, okay?" She asked, laughing at the statement she just made to her best friends. "No babies." Barb and Elizabeth agreed, shaking their heads with laughter.

"No mini Steve's or Barb's or Elizabeth's, deal?" Nancy giggled, pointing her index finger at the pair who were on the ground, clenching their stomachs as cackles filled the room.

"Sure, deal." Elizabeth managed to squeak out, more and more laughs filling the small bedroom.

Nancy smiled and joined her best friends on the ground, laughing along with them.