Prologue

Through bushes and over tree roots, I ran barefoot. 

The trees taunted me and laughed at me, whispering inaudibly as I clamped my hands over my ears to block out their voices. 

"Shut up, shut up," I thought angrily as tears fought to fall down my face.

My chest burned with pain as my feet stung from the cuts slit by the rugged terrain, but I didn't care. There was a more horrible pain than that of overused lungs and bleeding feet.

Nothing but miles of forestry surrounded me, or so it seemed like miles. Just trees and bushes, but no other nymphs or fairy-men around. No other creatures to bother me or to stop me. There was nothing they could have done anyways.

It was too late.

My breathing came out as ragged wheezing, as if the air was suffocating me. It clawed at my throat, slowly drowning my exhausted lungs with air and phlegm.

I couldn't take it anymore. Nothing helped.

No one helped. 

I wiped the tears from my eyes as I found myself at the edge of the forest, a rope bridge leading to the other side. The Dead Sylvia. Lifeless trees stood thin and dark as a vast fog laid itself over the forest, which used to give me slight chills as a child. Now, it doesn't bother me.

Nothing bothers me now.

My legs gave way as I reached the clearing, falling onto the sparse green grass as I coughed the phlegm out of my throat. 

"Stupid thyroid," I coughed as my chest tightened, grabbing my torn and soiled shirt in pain.

But even that pain wasn't as bad as the pain he caused me. 

"When you fall into place, you'll fall into my arms," he said genuinely as his amber fire eyes sparked, warming me up inside as he caused me to smile. "I'll catch you."

His memory won't leave my mind, his voice forever echoed in my head.

I fell. I fell in love with him, and yet, I fell too far.

I fell through the clouds of lies that he held in his arms, landing on the shattered fragments of stars made by all the suns he crushed with his own hands. He snuffed the light out of them, leaving them cold and lifeless as they were forced to be something that they didn't want to be.

Broken.

I'm surprised no other creature saw the dust and dirt on his hands, considering all the hearts and love he destroyed. Every creature thought of him as a great model and leader, so no one ever believed the ones broken by him. He's too charming and manipulative, brainwashing with empty words of promises that will never come true, twisting the story so that no one gets in trouble, although it was only to save his reputation despite being the one truly at fault.

I stood up and growled. "That stupid hellhound of a fairy-man..." 

Anger took over me as I screamed and immediately turned around, landing a closed fist in the trunk of a tree. The bark cracked where I had imagined his face, that light blue-skinned nymph with a flashy manifest. It practically was omnipresent in his eyes, always flickering and sparking in those fire amber eyes.

Pain shot through my left arm, but it wasn't enough. No matter the amount of physical pain I put myself through, it would never be able to drown out the emotional pain I feel. Never.

"Hellhound of a fairy-man," I quietly repeated myself as I dropped my fist to my side and stared at the ground. "Tch, he can't be a man if he's acting like a boy, plucking these nymphs as if they were flowers, giving them attention and compliments until they start to wilt in his clenched hand. He just throws them back on the ground, petals pale and roots destroyed, never to grow and bloom again."

I shook my head, which made my long and straight light purple hair bounce a little as I looked to my left and to my right. Just a vast stretch of the cliff ran in both directions, which led to nowhere as I stood a little ways from the edge. I craned my neck to look down into the cut of the land, having only found pitch darkness, getting closer to the edge.

Tears stung my eyes once more as I heard faint voices behind me in the woods, calling for me, but I ignored them. I was sure it was my imagination because no one cared to acknowledge me or to help me. I was always told to get away and that no nymph had time to associate with me. A familiar pain had cut through, a time when the silver pen that was used by my own hand had left me with scars. I felt it again, as if the hidden marks were mocking me, begging for attention.

I pushed away that feeling by focusing my mind on something else. Not on something better, but something else. Something else to blame myself for because I only ever ruined everything. My stupid manifest... If only I didn't develop that, then I would be just fine now, but no. Life granted me a dark manifest that I couldn't handle. I just ruined everything.

Everything was my fault.

The calling got louder and so did the dying beat of what was left of my heart. Nervous anxiety forced out silent screams and covered cries as my shoulders had begun to immediately shudder. The tears finally found their way down my cheeks as I looked back at the woods once more, my knees were becoming weak. My chest had begun to hurt again as I try not to scream. My anxiety got the best of me, and I had to clamp my mouth shut. My breathing started to stagger again as my vision began to blur and blacken. I kept looking and back and forth between the woods and the darkness that stretched out below me. My mind was clouded and I couldn't think straight as I gripped my shirt.

The wind blew, rustling my clothes and the leaves on the trees, their once malicious voices then spoke comfort to me as I parted my lips.

I whispered weakly, my words taken away by the wind, a lost voice never to speak again. 

"The end."

And I did what any lonely nymph would do.

I jumped.