Chapter 11

<Kenzie's POV>
I lie still as I try my hardest to open my eyes. I'm so tired. I barely got any sleep last night, especially being in an uncomfortable sleeping bag on the floor. But I wasn't going to let Erin take the floor. She's been going through so much and I feel so bad. I wish I could do more for her.

Thinking of her, I turn over on my other side to look at the couch. I bet she's awake already. She's always awake before me. "Erin?" No answer. Maybe she is still asleep. Pushing myself up, I realize that she isn't even there. "Erin??" I say a little louder.
I scoot myself out of the sleeping bag and walk over to the bathroom to see if she's there. The door is wide open and it's completely dark. She can't be in there.

I'm wide awake now. Why am I freaking out about this? It's not like she could have gone that far anyway. I don't think she would want to be a alone either.

I slowly make my way upstairs and smell bacon cooking. I spot my mom by the stove. "Hey mother," I speak up.

"Good morning daughter how are you?"

I don't answer her question. "Have you seen Erin anywhere?"

"Oh," she says, setting down the spatula that she had in hand and looking at me. "I had to take her home. She didn't look too good."

My eyes widen and I'm shocked. "What?"

"She came up to me this morning. Said she felt sick. So I brought her back to her house."

My teeth clench together to keep me from screaming. "Mom we have to go get her."

"Why? She'll be fine."

"No. We need to go now."

"What-"

"Mom," I snap. "You can ask questions on the way there."

Once we are in the car, she immediately starts talking again. "What's wrong? Why are we doing this? Have you been keeping something from me?"

I take a deep breath. "A lot has happened in the past couple of days."

"Like what?"

I stare down at my lap. "Her mom died," I whisper.

"Excuse me? What?" she says in a rude tone.

I get frustrated and respond louder. "I said her mom died okay?" It's silent for a least a mile after that.

Once we are almost there, she speaks up again. "Why didn't you tell me this before?"

You never asked! "I don't know." It turns into silence again until we pull into the driveway of the house.

I quickly get out and run up to the front porch. The place looks so abandoned. No lights or anything is on inside except for some sunshine through the windows. Erin probably wouldn't have gone in anyway. "I don't think she's here," I hear my mom say on the other side of the yard. Crap.

<Erin's POV>
It's freezing out here, but I don't care. Going into my house wasn't even a choice. I don't want all the memories to come swarming back to me. Standing right outside already makes me feel depressed.

I'm out there for a good 30 minutes until I finally spot car lights coming my way. My heart beats faster as it gets closer and closer. The car then pulls up in the driveway right next to me and the engine turns off. The driver's door opens and a tall figure steps out. I instantly know it's Jacob.

I had called him after Kenzie's mom had dropped me off. I was thinking about calling Nash, but I didn't want him to feel bad about everything. Jacob was my only other option and I went with it.