Chapter 15

Snowpaw had been taking care of the growing plant for a few days, making sure no animal dared to step near it. The plant had grown some, the flower beginning to bloom a little. Snowpaw had smiled at it with such confidence and sometimes even whispered to the plant, "I know you can grow into a big bush."

            It was obvious that new-leaf was just around the corner judging by the way that the birds had begun to chirp, the prey that had reappeared, the river that flowed quickly now. Snowpaw had even seen a fish jumping in the river at one time.

            Snowpaw awoke early to check on her little plant. She exited her log, which was getting quite small for her, and then padded off into the forest.

            The sun had just begin to rise, providing some light among the forest, but not much. Snowpaw gazed around, trying to find her little plant.

            She stiffened as she heard a crack of twigs behind her.

            "Stonecloud? Silverwhisker?" she whispered.

            Another crack of twigs came.

            Snowpaw turned around but saw nothing.

            She was beginning to get scared now and was just about to run. As a third crack came, she bounced away, running as quickly as she could. What was in the forest?

            She stopped to catch her breath. She had gone past the plant. The plant! That animal could've eaten it.

            Once she regained her breath, she bounced off again in the direction of the plant. It sat, unharmed, bringing relief to Snowpaw.

            "Thank goodness you're okay, little plant," Snowpaw spoke.

            But she began to hear noises again and before she could speak, a large brown paw came down on the plant, crushing it.

            "NO! WHAT DID YOU DO?!" Snowpaw screeched, looking up.

            A brown tabby tom stood before her. He looked about her age and towered over her since Snowpaw was quite small.

            "What? The plant?" the tom asked, taking his paw away.

            Snowpaw was about to cry. The small plant was crushed and ruined and soon the remainder of it would die.

            "Why did you kill my plant?!"

            "Your plant? I think it's the forest's plant. It's just a little plant, nothing more," the tom spoke.

            Snowpaw felt anger bubble inside her. How could the tom let this go so easily?

            "I was hoping to find another cat in the forest. My name is Bear. What's yours?"

            Snowpaw was too angry to even answer the question. After a long silence, she finally spoke. "Snowpaw."

            "Snowpaw? Hey, you're a clan cat, aren't you? I've heard about those before. Is there a clan around here?" Bear asked, pricking his ears and glancing around.

            "No, it's just me," Snowpaw said.

            "Then why aren't you in a clan?"

            Snowpaw ignored his question. "Why are you even in this forest anyway?"

            Bear turned, showing a long scratch down his pelt. It was new and Snowpaw almost gagged at the dried blood that lay to the side of it.