Chapter One

Clara felt frustrated, this was the second time this week that she had to go to the auto repair shop and it still didn't work out. She was wondering if she was cursed or something. That same week she was fired from Collins & Co. for arriving late because of the same stupid car. Not just that but her purse was stolen on the wild streets of New York and she thought it couldn't get any worse.

She was a cleaner at Collins & Co.  Surprising how a cleaner owns a car, the car belonged to her mother and it was 25years old, nothing new. She lived downtown in  an apartment that had already been furnished and came cheap. It had broken windows but she had to manage.

The next week, with money running very low and little left to eat she decided to browse the newspapers for vacancies. She didn't own a laptop or a phone or a television. Not even a radio. She was only entitled to get some newspapers down the road.

A striper. No. She could dance, she had a beautiful face but she's been called 'thick' most times for she had a voluptuous body. So no, being a striper was a far cry from what she would do.

A chef. Maybe. She could cook, she marked that one as an option.

A waitress. Mm that sounds plausible, great even, at least she could eat and earn. She marked that one too.

She went through the rest and sent applications to various places with hopes of getting a job. By the time she was done, it was few minutes to 2am and she decided to rest for the day.

Two days later, she decided to check out some of the places she sent applications to the previous day.

First, the chef job and as she anticipated she was disappointed.

Second, the cleaner job but someone else had been hired already.

She went to the rest of them  with a smile but she came out with a crestfallen face each time.

She wasn't hired.

She wasn't hired in anyone of the 18 jobs she applied for.

Now she knew she was really cursed.

She decided to start heading home since it was late already. She absentmindedly, touched her coat pocket for her purse, when she didn't feel it, she remembered it was stolen few days ago. She had no money on her, not even few coins.

How pathetic.

She had no choice but to walk home.

*********

By the time she got home, her landlord was waiting right outside the door, she'd been avoiding him for some days now but now she couldn't run because Mr. Zach had already seen her. She had to face her problems head on now.

"Good evening Mr. Zach, would you like to come inside I have tea or I could make you coffee". She was stalling and she knew it. She knows that the only reason Zachary Egnar comes into this complex was if someone hadn't paid their rent. Since they were only three people in this complex, he didn't come often.

" Evening to you too Clara ". I would surely love to have that tea that you're speaking about". He grinned showing his decayed teeth.

Clara cringed. But she had to buy herself time and if it meant entertaining Zachary Egnar for sometime then she would have to do it.

Clara unlocked her door and invited him to sit on the dirty, worn out couch while she busied herself with making the tea, the last tea bag she had left for Zachary Egnar.

Zachary Egnar was her landlord as you've come to know but he was also a very big flirt. He was a 52 year old ugly man with decayed teeth and horrendous body odor. It was rumored that he was once married but his wife left him because of his constant cheating.

Clara served the tea for them both and kept standing.

"Wouldn't you sit Clara?" Mr. Zach asked grinningly.

"I'll stand, let's cut the chase here Mr. Zach, you're here for your rent".

" Exactly! You're late with the payments again! ". He shouted when he noticed that she wasn't interested in playing games with him.

" How long do I have?"

"Two days".

" What ? Two days ?How are my supposed to -", She sighs. "Is there a way for me to elongate the deadline?"

"You can", he said coming closer to her," you can". He said trying to touch her.

She slapped his hand away. "Leave my house! I don't need you elongating nothing for me anymore! Leave!" She said while pushing him out.

"You'll regret this Clara". Mr. Zach said eyeing her. Finally he left slamming the door.

***********

Two days

Two days

I have just two days to leave  this place. Now she knew the universe was surely against her.

She entered the bathroom and cried for what felt like hours. After her session of self pity, she washed up and entered the only bedroom in the apartment. She browsed through the newspapers again until something caught her eye.

Housekeeper wanted
$2000 per week
Call: +35********

WTF!!

Who pays $2000 a week ?!!

She smiled to herself and decided to call the number first thing the next morning.  She packed her job-hunt materials and began packing her stuff around the apartment. In two hours she was done,she didn't have much stuff anyway. The only left were her kitchen utensils which will be done soon and a few clothes shell wear the remaining days. That was all.

She headed to her soon to be ex-bedroom and tried to sleep on an empty stomach.

********

Vote
Comment
Share

Leave comments beautiful people

Love from here
Xx