Chapter 16

Sleep is refreshing. When I wake the doubts of the previous night have turned into excitement about what we might find today. I think about how far we have come from Astakarth, and nothing seems impossible. Then I think about all the people who have already died, and it shames me. The bubble of elation vanishes.

Ammeline and Doven are awake too. They are arguing with each other in hard low voices. I move slightly closer to listen in.

"If Remeny can't step up, we will die here."

Doven replies to her calmly. "Then we will die."

Her eyes snap. "It's all right for you. You haven't got someone waiting for you outside!"

I suck in my breath at that one. So does Doven, who needs a few seconds to reply. "You may believe my life is worth less than yours, but in the end, we both depend on Remeny."

Ammeline's voice is sulky. "I didn't say that!" Her tone changes. "Come on, Doven, don't get angry with me." She touches her tunic, pulling it down slightly over her breasts. She licks her lips. "That's not fair."

Doven doesn't move his gaze away from her eyes. He is regarding her coldly. "Those silly tricks won't work on me any longer. And they aren't going to work on Koban, either. You should stop using them."

Ammeline pouts. "I don't know what you mean!"

"Yes, you do. Linnith is worth six of you. And Koban ... whichever side he turns out to be on ... is going to want more than a selfish little girl who can only think of her own wants and needs."

There is real pain in Ammeline's eyes. "You can't like Linnith more than me!"

"I don't like you very much at all. Never have, really."

"You were all over me!"

Doven looks slightly sick. "Yes. I was, wasn't I?" His eyes slide to me. He knows I am listening. "I was ... younger."

She gives a snort. "A week!"

Doven nods slowly. "Sometimes a week can be a long time." He grins at me. "Good morning, Remeny."

Ammeline tosses her head and moves away. I am thinking that maybe it doesn't matter if my breasts don't grow so much. I have to tell Linnith what he has just said. That makes me more cheerful.

"This is your day." Doven looks worried.

"I suppose so."

"You'll do fine."

"Will I?" I bite my lip. "I am not so sure."

"I am. This is the end of the Inmuri slavery. I'm not certain how, but we are the ones who are going to bring freedom to Hethor."

I look at him. He is gentle and dependable and nice. Ok, he slipped a bit with his obsession over Ammeline, but he seems over that now. He deserves to be a hero. He is a hero. But nobody will ever find out unless I can do my bit in this enterprise. I realize that he should be recognized. So should Torch, saving us with his skulks. So should every single one of those who started the journey, even Ballen. It is not about me; it is about all of them.

This has the effect of making me feel stronger. I fit into a group; I no longer stand out as the spearhead. So I shall do whatever I can. I shall, if necessary, risk my own life. That is no more than they have done. Each and every one of them. Even Kalyka, swinging down on top of a fully grown Scoriat on her pendulum.

My spirit lightens. I go across to the sculpture of the orthomancer. He is dressed normally. The only thing which is clear is that he is standing on his toes, arms held out sideways. I run my fingers over the carved figure. This is the only clue that they left me. This and the maps of the worlds. I have to assume that those worlds are accessible. They must be. I pick up the list which Furian had written the night before. I take it with me as I revisit all the globes sculpted in this chamber. I study each one, memorizing the messages. I may need them.