Chapter 8

The little postcard I made up there is made by using Postale. It's an amazing app! I think it's still free, so go check it out!

WARNING: there is a little bit of immaturity involving bathroom stuff of opposite genders. That part will be asterisked.

--------------------------------------------

Riley's POV

I woke up to... total darkness. I sat up, the taste of drool in my mouth. Now I don't usually drool, but when I happen to be tired, I drool. I yawned and rubbed my eyes. Looking around my room, I saw some sunlight peek through from my closed curtains.

"Duh," I said aloud to myself. I face palmed myself and pulled off the covers. I shivered as the cold air hit my bare arms. I swung my legs over the side of my bed and touched the cold floor with my toes. Unaffected, I walked to my curtains and opened them. I peered outside and took in the breathtaking view. The grassy green meadow was complimented with colourful plants. I saw a few wild slugs running around, chasing each other. I smiled and headed to my closet. Today I'm going to make up for the lost slug slinging time. As I bent over, looking for my slug slinging outfit, I felt a pain in my back. "Ow. Ah. Ouch." I stood up and rubbed my back in pain. I decided it would be better if I crouched instead of bending over. But no. "Ow!" I rubbed my thighs and calves and stood up painfully. Darn all those boxes. If I had a little less, I probably would be less sore. I quickly found my slug slinging clothes and threw them on with pain. My muscles in my back, arms, abdomen, thi- actually EVERYWHERE hurt bad. I stretched a little bit, hoping that that would help. It did. Sort of.

My slugs heard my cries of pain and came to my side. More like by my feet. Anyways, they came beside me and looked up at me concerned. My Arachnet squeaked something, as if to ask me if I was okay. I nodded and crouched carefully, making sure that I didn't make anything feel worse. I held out my arms and my eight slugs hopped up onto my arm. I stood back up and smiled at them. They smiled back at me just as brightly.

I headed down the stairs quietly and painfully, making sure not to make a noise. Unfortunately because of my leg pains, I was walking (no, limping) down the stairs. After each step was a creak of the stair. The creaks split into the dramatic silence, which made me feel... y'know. When you walk down the stairs and the floorboards creak, and no one else is awake, so you don't wanna wake anyone up? That feeling. I winced with every step I took. I have no clue why, but body felt extremely stiff. Most likely because of my muscles.

I stiffly walked over to the couch and sat down with difficulty. I took in a deep breath then sighed. Who knew that moving was such a difficulty? Not me or Eli. Speaking of which, is he awa-

"Morning!" I turned around and screamed. Some of my slugs screamed their cute little screams, and some dramatically fainted. My scream was a quiet one, but still high pitched. Eli stood behind me, grinning like a goof holding a spatula. As for me, I was covering my mouth and clutching my chest, breathing heavily.

"What... the... heck... was... that...for," I gasped in between breaths. Eli smiled, shrugged then headed to the kitchen. My slugs hopped onto my arms. I followed him, sniffing in the beautiful aroma of- "ACHOO!" Burnt toast. I began coughing and trying to hack up whatever was lodged into my throat. Dang you phlegm with your mucas stuff that's oh so annoying! But I think it's the smell of burnt toast. My slugs coughed a little too.

"Riley, are you okay," Eli asked while pulling the burnt toast out of the toaster. He looked at me and handed me some black toast.

"*Cough* I'm okay. Yeah, no toast. Really. Um, flipping some toast?" I gestured to the spatula that Eli held. Eli cocked his head to the side then looked at his spatula.