Seventeen

"Everyone in life is gonna hurt you, you just have to figure out which people are worth the pain."
~Erica Baican

"We missed you all so much."

Rosalie squeezed her daughter tight as Andy did the same with his son. After their American tour the band returned to Australia for the Australian leg of the tour and since it was New Year's, they decided to spend it at the Walker-Hemmings household. Ava's mom had some idea about Michael and her daughter's relationship but not to the extent of how serious it actually was so she didn't expect Michael to sleep in Ava's room. All though after seeing the looks the young couple exchanged, she didn't mind. Luke went straight into his still fresh and new room that didn't feel quite like home yet but started getting more and more homey and personalized. Ashton and Calum were stuck in the guest bedroom that wasn't all that spacious. After a few hours of settling in, the five jet lagged teens sat to lunch with the engaged couple. They talked about the tour and the fans and the incredible experience and adventures they went on. Rosalie was constantly looking at Ava who was just looking at Michael head over hills in love. The blonde girl might not have known it but she couldn't hide her feelings for the now pink haired boy. What Ava also didn't know was how happy her mother was to see her daughter actually have friends. Ava did have friends in high school but she never brought them around, didn't went to their places and she didn't really feel all that attached to them. They were just the people she spent time with in school and that listened to her snarky sarcastic comments. Nothing more. The blonde also had her fair share of boyfriends over the course of her life but what she felt to them couldn't even begin to compare to the intensity of feelings she had towards the famous boy. And all that made Rose burst with joy. After the long lunch the teens went to their rooms and just hung around the house until it was time to get ready for the New Year's Eve party. These were the only parties Ava ever went on. She got invited to lots of parties but she only attended the New Year's Eve ones. At one point that afternoon, the entirety of the household needed to use the one bathroom they had. When only Ava and her mom shared the house the one bathroom worked, just like when for more then half a year Rosalie lived with just Andy but then, when 5 teens along with the two adults lived there, one bathroom just didn't work all that well.

"For fucks sake Luke how much time do you need in that bathroom?"

"Language."

Ashton and Rosalie said in unison. Ava just rolled her eyes and continued banging on the door. Few minutes later, the door finally opened and out stepped Luke who looked just the same.

"My hair takes a long time."

"You look exactly the same."

"You have like zero sense for styling so I won't even acknowledge that comment."

The blonde girl rolled her eyes again and pushed herself in the bathroom. She sped over everything she needed to do and was out in approximate 10 minutes time. Few hours later, everyone was done. They all got into a car and Andy and Rosalie dropped the teens of at their party while they were heading to one of their own.

"Be good kids. See you tomorrow."

The party the teens were attending was wilder and more extravagant then any they attended on tour so Ava wasn't really looking forward to it. Michael noticed the hesitation on his girlfriend's face and took her hand reassuringly while walking into the house. Again, most of the kids were already drunk and wouldn't remember much of the New Year's anyway as the four famous boys and Ava walked in. The party was held in a house of one of the boy's friend which was coincidentally also a friend of one of Ava's closest friends from school. So the chances were, they all saw each other on the New Year's Eve party multiple times without knowing they did.

"We should say hello to Jamie."

"I should find Sydney and tell her I'm here. She was kind of my friend."

Michael nodded and kissed the blonde girl before they parted ways. Michael went to look for the tall, black haired and tattooed Jamie who went to school with him long ago and Ava went to look for her bleach blonde and tall party girl friend Sydney. Michael along with the rest of his bandmates found Jamie pretty fast and stroke up a conversation with him, while Ava had a little more trouble finding her friend because Sydney changed a lot. As Ava was looking around someone yelled her name and as she turned to see who it was, she met the pair of icy blue eyes she was looking for.

"O my god Syd. You changed."

The girl laughed and pulled Ava into a hug.

"So have you. I didn't expect to see you here. I mean don't get me wrong, I'm happy you're here I did miss you but you just kind of disappeared after the end of school. No one really knew where you were."

"Yeah I did kind of leave to Europe suddenly-"

"Okay hold up, you went to Europe?"

"Yeah um...long story."

"Tell. Me. Everything."

Sydney pulled Ava into a small, not too crowded room and handed her a drink she forced the blonde to drink. After all that was done, Ava started explaining what her life had become over the past couple of months and Sydney just listened to her, mouth opened and shook.

"So you are literally telling me you are dating the hot famous guitarist and your step brother is about to be the fucking hottest singer alive? Damn girl, your life sounds like a great fan fiction."

They both laughed and for the first time ever, Ava kind of regretted not spending more time with Sydney. She was very clearly a nice person to be around and if it wasn't for Ava's fear of attachment, they would probably be great friends. They chatted for some time before Ashton came looking for Ava and literally freezed as he saw the rose gold haired girl next to her. The only thing Sydney was able to say upon seeing the hazel eyed drummer was:

"Oh shit."

Ava rose her eyebrows as her look traveled from her high school friend to Ashton and back. Ashton scratched the back of his neck and took his time before saying what he came there to say.

"Um, right um...Mike's looking for you. He's...um...on the porch?"

Ava felt the tension between Ashton and Sydney and decided to leave her knowledge at where it was and just leave the two to talk or whatever they were about to do and went looking for the pink haired boy. She found him where Ashton said he was and she did that just as the countdown started. They counted down together and just as the clock hit midnight and the fireworks lit up the sky, Michael kissed the girl he was bead over hills in love with and asked the question he wanted to ask her since the first time they kissed.

"I know you don't believe in love but believe me when I tell you I am completely in love with you. And there is literally no one else I want to be with then you so would you, the smartest and most beautiful girl I have ever seen, fancy being my girlfriend?"

Michael's eyes were lit up by fireworks and even though there was still a part of Ava that was scared to say yes, that was scared of getting attached and giving someone the power to destroy her, she couldn't keep herself from smiling and saying yes before kissing her perfect boyfriend she was also completely in love with as well.